Skip to main content


16:55 16th February 2002

Carlisle United v Exeter City

The Grecians' start the game making just the one change from last Saturday with Glenn Cronin coming back into the side for Martin Barlow.  The usual supporters have once again made the longest trip of the season to follow the Grecians' to Cumbria. The match starts on a very muddy and bobbly pitch with the Grecians' attacking the empty terracing which used to be the old Away Terracing.  Carlisle start with the first attack of the game with Green crossing from the left wing to see Watson clear the ball. Five minutes into the game and stand in physio George Kent makes his first appearance of the day when he has to treat Graeme Power after a bad tackle on him.  The pitch already is cutting up badly which is going to make it very hard to play any good football. Steve Soley drove a shot from twenty five yards to see his effort bounce the wrong side of Fraser's right post.  City go straight up to the other end of the park and win the first corner of the game in the eighth minute of the game.  City then won a free kick in the box after a back pass was picked up by Peter Keen.  Christian had a shot from the effort which was headed out for a corner. Twenty minutes in and from a in swinging Andy Roscoe corner Roberts collected the ball and turned and cracked a shot off of the cross bar.  A couple of minutes later and Carlisle should have taken the lead when Foran headed a ball through to Halliday who in space shot straight at Fraser's body.  A comical moment next as the referee walked off the pitch to speak to a steward about things being thrown onto the pitch, and Carlisle took their corner and carried on playing! A cross from the right was chested down by Flack and Tomlinson drove the effort with his left foot over the top of Peter Keens' crossbar.  A neat bit of play between Flack and Roscoe on the left led to a right footed shot by Roberts' which was dragged wide. City's best chance of the game game two minutes before half time when Roscoe set Roberts' off on the left wing, outpacing Winstanley and with only the keeper to beat from a tight angle the shot went just wide of the right post. Half Time Score Carlisle United 0-0 Exeter City The second half has started at a much more frenetic pace than the whole of the first, with City having the lions share of the possession in the first five minutes.  A free kick on the edge of the box found it's way to the unmarked Winstanley whose left foot effort was hurried and placed over the bar. City then countered and Roscoe got the ball olong the left channel, crossed in to the box, Flack, amid shouts of handball, chested the ball down for Roberts' to rifle a shot over the bar. Both teams seem to be having problems picking out players in their own colours with passes a plenty going astray.  Christian picked up a hopeful long ball and started the charge towards goal to see his shot blocked and put out for a corner. City made the first change of the game in the sixty ninth minute with Tomlinson being replaced by the fit again Geoff Breslan.  Carlisle then brought on Michael Jack for Stuart Green just a minute later. Seventy one minutes in and Power gave away a free kick on the edge of the box and after a bit of head table tennis Soley got hold of the ball and placed it into the back of the net.  One nil to Carlisle. Since the goal went in Carlisle have upped the tempo and are starting to play with nore togetherness where as City are struggling to put the passes together and are having to soak up a lot of pressure.  Eighty five minutes in and Flack was running onto a through ball, shouldering the defender out of the way a foul was flagged, Flack went and said something to the assistant referee and the referee gave him his fifth booking and a suspension for dissent. Watson then got booked nearly immediately after that and the game then started to get a bit nasty with a bit of fisticuffs breaking out between Halliday and Curran with both of the players earning themselves a yellow card. City had a good chance in the eighty ninth minute when a corner was whipped in and Flack beat the keeper to the ball and somehow managed to put the ball wide from a great header in the middle of the box.  City then threw on Sean McCarthy in injury time to replace Andy Roscoe. City's good away form desserts them for a day and we must now look forward to next week at Oxford United and the Kassam Stadium.
    Data provided by Press Association