Skip to main content


17:09 23rd February 2002

Oxford United v Exeter City

The Grecians' start the game making no changes to the starting eleven from last weekends defeat at Brunton Park.  Paul Buckle starts his come back by earning himself a place on the bench after completing a reserve match during the week. City start the game in the change strip of purple on an absolutely immaculate pitch attacking the West Stand end of the ground although there is no stand there yet!!  Again there is a good following of City supporters, a lot of which are in their suits. There is a very strong wind whistling around the Kassam that looks like it will play its part in today's game with several of Stuart Fraser's kicks already blowing out into touch for throw ins.  Oxford has had a lot of the possession in the first five minutes but so far neither team have threatened either of the goalkeepers. The first effort on goal was by City nine minutes in, a good bit of switching by Roberts to Tomlinson allowed the cross to be played into the box which was met by Flack's head.  Flack's was a bit below the and had to see his effort go over the bar. Andy Scott won a free kick after Alex Watson was adjudged to have been pushing him thirty yards out which he took himself and rifled into the wall and away to safety.  Both teams seem to be having problems with the end at present with it being very difficult to judge the flight of the ball. City win the first corner of the game after eighteen minutes again after some neat passing by Roberts and Tomlinson.  Roscoe swung the ball in left footed and Flack prodded the ball towards goal.  After a bit of a scramble the ball was eventually cleared out for a throw. After an attack by Oxford a through ball was played to Roscoe who calmly side footed the ball through the legs of the on rushing Andy Woodman.  Twenty minutes gone City take the lead. City are now taking control of the game and with every attack look better and better and as if the lead could be extended at any time.  Oxford seem happy enough to lump the ball forward and wait for City to come back at them. Thirty three minutes in and after a corner and a bit of hectic defending the ball fell out to Joey Beauchamp who coolly volleyed the ball towards Stuart Fraser's goal.  Although Fraser got a hand to it he could not stop it from nestling in the back of the goal. One all. Although Oxford have pulled a goal back City are still applying the pressure and creating several chances, a lot of play is coming on the right hand side with Robert and Tomlinson linking up very well, the most recent chance being a free header for Andy Roscoe which went wide. Oxford are awarded a penalty when the City defence stick a leg out.  Oxford could have struck the killer blow right on the stroke of half-time as Andy Scott stepped up and blasted the ball left footed over the crossbar. Half Time Oxford United 1-1 Exeter City 
    Data provided by Press Association