Skip to main content


16:52 13th April 2002

Leyton Orient v Exeter City

Good afternoon and welcome to today's game from Brisbane Road, Leyton.Firstly I would like to say thank you to Paul Garnham for the very kind loan of his laptop so that I can do the reports today.City are today playing in the change purple strip with white shorts, I think there must have been a clash of socks as City seem to be wearing Orient's red socks!

This afternoon is an overcast cold day in the east of London.City start the game with the same starting eleven that faced Torquay on Sunday with Chris Curran taking a place on the bench.The game starts with City attacking the open terracing.

City's first attack leads to Steve Flack being caught off side straight from the kick off.Orient win the first corner of the game when Burrows was caught in possession on the bye line.From the second corner Martin swung in a cross to see Lockwood send a powerful header over the bar.

Jay Richardson became the next City player to take a blow to his head as he had to go back off down the tunnel to be stitched up after seven minutes.Jabo Ibehre, Orient's big striker looks as though he is going to prove as City's main cause for concern.

Ten minutes in and Orient should have taken the lead as John Martin was unmarked at the back post.A cross found him and his header was sent goalwards, Van Heusden spread himself as he came out and somehow managed to make the save as his defence mopped up the loose ball.

Steve Flack had the Grecians' first effort after twenty minutes with a shot from the left side of the box which went high over the bar.City then won a free kick which was swung in by Roscoea minute later and Flack headed the ball into the corner of the net to give City the lead against the run of play.

Orient then went back down the other end two minutes later as Adam Newton was left with the easiest task of striking the ball into the back of an empty net to level the scores.With ten minutes remaining in the first half Ibehre could have given Orient the lead but again Van Heusden was there to save City with his legs.

Graeme Tomlinson had City's last chance of the first half in injury time as he won the ball on in the box and tried to lob Morris, not quite high enough though.The first half ends all square but Orient have dominated the first half and City need to pull their socks up.

Half Time Leyton Orient 1-1 Exeter City

The two teams re emerge for the second half with no changes, the weather has now changed and it is now raining as City attack the newly built end with the impressive turn out of City fans on the left as they head for goal.

Scott Canham almost immediately put Orient in the lead with a curling shot towards the top corner.Miraculously Van Heusden managed to stretch his arm out far enough to push the ball over the bar to concede a corner instead.

City have started the second half a lot more positively and have kept a lot of possession in the Orient half.In the seventh minute Glenn Cronin became the first player to enter Phil Prosser's notebook for a wild swing at the ball which caught the Orient player instead.

Chris Curran came on to replace Neil Whitworth after fifty five minutes.Graeme Tomlinson then entered the book for dissent after sixty one minutes.The official attendance has just come around of 5332 of which there are 267 Grecians'.

City are now starting to do as Orient did in the first, pinning them in their own half and having long spells of posession, whilst doing this we are not really creating any real chances of note on Glenn Morris' goal

City had a good opportunity on seventy minutes as a free kick was crossed in to Curran whos header came to Tomlinson, heading towards the net Morris plucked the ball out of the air just before Jay Richardson could get to it.

After seventy eight minutes Graeme Tomlinson made way for Leslie Afful to make his debut in the first team.Orient had a great chance with ten minutes to go as a cross was whipped in and the lively John Martin flung himself at the ball to see his effort go wide.

Geoff Breslan also made an appearance as he replaced Jay Richardson with seven minutes left on the clock.Into the final minute and Breslan could have snatched victory, beating the offside trap and at an acute angle he smashed a shot in that flew past both posts and Steve Flack.

A very strange game in which both teams had long spells of dominance but didn't really threaten either goal, first game I can remember as well where City didn't win a single corner!

As another game ends Corny can't now make his sixty points but we are back at the Park next Saturday for the last game of the season against Hartlepool to see if he can make it fifty eight points for the season.I'm off to have a curry with the Exiles now, until next week, Andy!

    Data provided by Press Association