Skip to main content


21:43 15th January 2002

Scunthorpe United v Exeter City

The Grecians' start the game making just the two changes with Graeme Power replacing Neil Whitworth and Stuart Fraser replacing the injured Arjan Van Heusden in goal.The Grecians' start the game attacking our thirty or so fans in the Caparo Merchant Bar Stand.  City created the first effort on goal when a McConnell cross from the right was blasted over the bar by Tomlinson.  After three minutes a Dawson cross was met by former Grecian Lee Hodges whose shot flashed wide of the left post. In the tenth minute Roberts came flying into the ever problematic Beagrie and earnt himself the first booking of the game.  Roberts broke free in the thirteenth minute and although having several options to him he elected to try his luck and shot straight into the arms of Evans.Scunthorpe created an opening down the left channel and the cross was pulled back by Torpey to see Carruthers left foot shot gathered by Fraser.  City then went proceeded to counter and won a corner which was cleared well by the United defence. Scunthorpe won their first corner of the game in the twenty second minute which was played deep to the far post which was headed back across goal by Steve Torpey and MCombe got the final touch to make it one-nil to the Iron.  Roberts picked up the ball in the middle of the park and turned his defender, striking a twenty five yard shot he won a corner off of a Scunthorpe defender which caused no problems for the defence.  Minutes later Barlow robbed the Iron midfield and found himself in space in the middle of the park but his shot once again caused no problems. A Dawson cross was missed by Power and McCombe again found himself with the ball at his disposal, luckily for the Grecians he rifled his shot wide from six yards.In the thirty fifth minute a hopeful Watson punt was latched onto by Flack who calmly slotted home with his left foot to equal the scores.  Curran gave away a free kick on the edge of the box, Beagrie stepped up and proceeded to hit the bar, luckily the resulting scramble only resulted in a corner. Carruthers picked up a great ball from Lee Hodges on the right wing but Fraser was up to the task and smothered the ball well.  Flack then become the second City player to be booked for dissent after arguing over a previous foul.Roberts took a freekick from twenty five yards that took a wicked deflection off of Calvo-Garcia and with the keeper stranded the ball somehow managed to trickle just the wrong side of the post.  City are enjoying a good spell of possession and are again creating several chances.Second HalfScunthorpe now start the second half attacking the Exeter fans having made a change at half time with Matthew Sparrow replacing Wayne Graves.  The Iron created the first chance of the second half with a break down the left wing, a lovely ball into the middle was played into the side netting.City continued where they left off and in the fiftieth minute Roberts nutmegged McCombe and was free bearing down on goal.  Right foot, bottom right corner, you guessed it - two one City.The defence missed a through ball and Flack found himself with the ball although he couldn't quite control it and lost possession.  Roscoe spread the ball to the right wing and McConnell went racing towards the box, poised to strike he pulled the ball back but just too far for Tomlinson and the danger was cleared.Seventy one minutes gone and Roberts was dragged down by Dawson, after a long consultation with his linesman the referee finally awarded a free kick on the edge of the box after originally signalling for a penalty.  Roscoe rifled the ball into the wall and Barlow's follow up went wide of the keepers right post.Seventy three minutes and Tomlinson switched the ball from the right to Roberts on the left, cut inside and onto the right foot, twenty five yards out and into the bottom left corner and City extend the lead furtherFlack then decided to foul McCombe and award Scunthorpe with a penalty in the seventy ninth minute.  Up stepped Beagrie and it was three - two.  Jay Richardson came on to replace Tomlinson.City then weathered some severe pressure from Scunthorpe making the odd break and up popped the fourth officials board indicating four minutes of added time.  Then it all went wrong, Quailey, another ex-Grecian picked up the ball and slotted home from twenty yards.  City then took Flack off and replaced him with Whitworth to shore up the defence.The final piece of play saw City break and a poor clearance saw Roscoe smash the ball from thirty yards, a little deflection and into the back of the net.  An amazing game, an amazing result.
    Data provided by Press Association