Skip to main content


16:14 7th April 2002

Exeter City v Torquay United

The Grecians' start the game making changes with Neil Whitworth and Mark Burrows taking a place in the defence with Curran being out injured, Breslan has to make do with a place on the bench. You join us here today on a beautiful sunny day in Exeter, the Grecians' have started the game attacking the Cliff Bastin Stand.  The first effort came from Steve Flack as he headed the ball on from the left wing ran onto it but pulled his shot wide of Dearden's goal. The strong wind whipping around St James' Park is causing problems for the kicking of Van Heusden as a poor clearance nearly let Torquay cause us problems.  Steve Flack won City the first corner of the game after some good play on the left wing. A game of few chances so far, Torquay started the brighter of the two teams but City are slowly pulling themselves back into the game putting together some slick passing moves.  Torquay make an early change as Tony Bedeau comes on for the injured Andrew Martin after just eighteen minutes. Torquay could have taken the lead as David Graham dispossessed Buckle in the box and fed the ball through to Richardson whose effort ended up going over the bar.  City also have to make an early change in the twenty seventh minute as Martin Barlow replaced Glenn Cronin who took a bang to the head. City could have taken the lead after thirty seven minutes as Roscoe whipped in a free kick, the ball fell to Whitworth after a deflection taking him by surprise, poking at the ball he got no power on the ball and it dribbled through to Dearden. City have another good effort just before the whistle blows as Barlow and Tomlinson link up well, Barlow stalled for too long on his pass and Tomlinson had to take his shot quickly which ended up over the bar. The first half draws to a bit of a sour conclusion, no real chances for either team in a game that is lacking the enthusiasm and passion of a local derby. Half Time Exeter City 0-0 Torquay United The second half start with City attacking the St James' Road terrace populated by the Gulls fans that have made the trip down the A38.  Again the second half starts off slowly with Torquay applying the more of the pressure. From a throw far on the right the ball came out to Barlow who struck the shot hard and low and forced a good save out of Kevin Dearden.  Mark Burrows became the first player to earn a booking after bringing down David Graham. Flack again created a good chance, Barlow curled the ball into the box as Flack, in an off side position, headed the ball just wide of the post.  With twenty five minutes remaining there is absolutely nothing happening at present, possession is fairly equal between the teams. After sixty seven minutes and a throw on the right hand side, Andy Roscoe got hold of the ball on the edge of the area, striking left footed the ball whistled just wide of the post for a corner.  In the seventy first minute Sean McCarthy came on to replace Steve Flack. City have now started to take control of the game and are applying probably the most pressure all game onto Kevin Dearden's goal.  With just a shadow more than ten minutes remaining Andy Roscoe was replaced by Geoff Breslan. City came the closest so far as Breslan cut inside and crossed the ball, Buckle ended up with the ball and his shot was left by Dearden who luckily saw the ball bounce back off of the upright. Controversy right at the end, David Graham kicked out at Ampadu, in retaliation Kwame headbutted Graham and the pair were sent off for their efforts.  This was the last action of the game as Mick Fletcher blew for full time. A stalemate at the end of the game.  Towards the end of the second half City had some maintained pressure but couldn't quite force the ball into the back of the net.  Next up Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road. 
    Data provided by Press Association