Skip to main content


22:05 13th August 2002

Exeter City v Scunthorpe United

The Grecians' start the first home game of the season attacking the St James' Road end with Lee Sharpe making his debut for the Club, Steve Flack also takes up a starting position with Roscoe and Taylor dropping out of the team.

A good gate is seeing a slow start to the game although there are a few crunching tackles going on.City have been the dominant team in the first quarter of an hour with the best chance coming as Sharpe fed Flack through and crossed just in front of Coppinger.

City are playing some great football with Sharpe and Flack linking up very well and some great passing and crossfield balls are being spread around the park.A throw in made it's way through to Lee Sharpe on his unfavoured right foot which was volleyed straight into the keepers chest.

Again in the twenty fourth minute Coppinger and Flack linked up and Sharpe again had an effort on goal which was put out for a corner by Tom Evans' legs.A dominant spell again as Walker has an effort and City force their third corner in a row.

After twenty nine minutes Steve Flack had fed the ball through the legs of Evans only to see the goal disallowed with a very very late flag from the assistant referee.The game so far is just non stop one way traffic in City's favour with Kevin Miller being a mere spectator.

The Grecians' again nearly took the lead from a corner, Walker whipped in the ball and Goodman headed it backwards to meet Chris Curran whose header was just tipped over the bar by Coppinger.Scunthorpes first real chance came in the last minute as Matt Sparrow struck an effort from the edge of the box.

Half Time Score Exeter City 0-0 Scunthorpe United

The second half starts with no changes as Exeter City start attacking the Cliff Bastin Stand.Steve Flack started causing the defence problems again as he charged down a clearance and lashed a shot across the edge of the six yard box.

After fifty minutes a bit of frustration set in and Don Goodman slid in to earn himself a booking.Dominance still setting in ten minutes in as this time Goodman set up Walker to vrack an effort from thirty yards.

After sixty two minutes suddenly the Iron were on the attack and City had the woodwork to thank for keeping the scores level.Again City forced Scunthorpe to breaking point as the keeper spilled a cross and the ball had to be cleared by his defence.

Seventy minutes in and City had a massive penalty claim which everyone in the ground seemed to see except for the man that counted, the referee.Again five minutes later another penalty claim as Goodman put Sharpe through and he was sent tumbling in the area but again the ref waved away the claim.

After eighty minutes Peter Beagrie had a shot that was fantasically saved by Miller and Martin Carruthers came in to head the Iron into a thoroughly undeserved lead against the run of play.Finally deep into stoppage time and just rewards, a free kick was put in Chris Curran headed back across goal and Martin Thomas put the final touch on the ball to level the score.

Final Score: Exeter City 1-1 Scunthorpe United

City Line Up:
Kevin Miller, Graeme Power, Justin Walker (Martin Thomas 78), Chris Curran, Lee Sharpe, Barry McConnell, Santos Gaia, Steve Flack, Don Goodman (Gareth Sheldon 83), James Coppinger, Glenn Cronin
Subs not used: Stuart Fraser, Neil Whitworth, Andy Roscoe.

Scunthorpe United Line up:
Tom Evans, Nathan Stanton, Andy Dawson, Mark Jackson, James Cotterill, Matt Sparrow, Wayne Graves, Martin Carruthers, Alex Calvo Garcia, Paul Wheatcroft (Scott Brough 78), Peter Beagrie
Subs not used: Neil Collins, Jamie McCombe, Lee Ridley, Terry Barwick

    Data provided by Press Association