Skip to main content


16:51 26th August 2002

Exeter City v Torquay United

The Grecians' start the match missing Chris Curran and Glenn Cronin through injury, Gareth Sheldon and Alex Watson take up places in the starting eleven.City start the game attacking the Cliff Bastin Stand as Torquay win the toss.

Torquay win the first corner of the game as Power tried to duck to miss the ball and it spun off his head and out of play.The Grecians' first corner comes after seven minutes after some good work by Sharpe.

Ten minutes in and the Grecians' came close to taking the lead as Sheldon penetrated the Gulls defence to see a foot come from nowhere to earn a corner for the City.Two minutes later after a defensive mix up Flack lined up a shot that ended up going woefully wide.

After twenty minutes again the Grecians' were exerting the pressure as Flack laid a ball off for Coppinger who drilled it across field for Sharpe who controlled it and then went down under the pressure of the defence.

Twenty six minutes into the game and Torquay took the lead as Sharpe lost the ball on the wing Torquay were allowed to exchange passes and waltzed their way through the defence to see David Graham strike to give the Gulls the lead.

Just after the half hour mark City had another good chance as the ball was fed out to McConnell on the wing who crossed to see Martin Thomas head the ball into the ground and out for a goal kick.A minute later and it was Sheldon who had a crack from just inside the box which went agonisingly wide.

After forty one minutes City pulled the scores level as Coppinger bagged his first goal for the Grecians, picking the ball up on the right side of the box he took one step and made no mistake in smashing the ball into the opposite corner of the goal.

Right on the stroke of half time Torquay took the lead again as a clearance ricoched off of the defence and as Alex Watson stood and watched Tony Bedeau chipped the ball over Miller to make it two one.The Gulls nearly added to their advantage seconds later as Watson cleared off of the line.

Half Time Score: Exeter City 1-2 Torquay United

The second half starts with City attacking the Away Terrace.The Grecians' seem to have upped the pace slightly and look a bit more hungry for the ball.Steve Flack made a chance for himself after turning three defenders and shooting over the bar.

After sixty minutes again City had a good chance to pull the scores level as Coppinger used a bit of his trickery to pull the ball across goal for Andy Roscoe to blaze the ball high over the bar and into St James' Road.

From the free kick that saw Justin Walker stretchered off Gaia headed the ball back across goal and the incoming Martin Thomas narrowly missed it.Again with ten minutes to go it is Coppinger who is creating all of City's chances.

Five minutes later and it was Steve Flack setting up Martin Thomas to lash a venomous shot from the edge of the area.Heading into injury time and City had Miller to thank for keeping the scoreline respectable.

Final Score: Exeter City 1-2 Torquay United

City Line Up:
Kevin Miller, Graeme Power, Justin Walker (Kwame Ampadu 73), Gareth Sheldon (Clevedon Taylor 70), Steve Flack, Santos Gaia, Lee Sharpe (Andy Roscoe 52), Alex Watson, Martin Thomas, James Coppinger, Barry McConnell
Subs not used: Stuart Fraser, Neil Whitworth

Torquay United Line up:
Kevin Dearden, Reuben Hazell, David Woozley, Sean Hankin, Alex Russell (Matthew Hockley 90), Jason Fowler, Tony Bedeau, David Graham (Matt Gritton 65), Kevin Hill, Lee Canoville, Marcus Richardson
Subs not used: Jamie Attwell, Troy Douglin, Neil Prince

    Data provided by Press Association