Skip to main content


17:01 7th September 2002

Exeter City v AFC Bournemouth

The Grecians' return back to St James' Park to face Bournemouth.The starting eleven is exactly the same as that that beat Carlisle United last weekend.Justin Walker returns from injury to take up a place on the bench.

The game starts with City attacking the Cliff Bastin Stand.Martin Thomas was nearly put through in the second minute as the defence missed a pass from Coppinger and it just went past the outstretched foot of Thomas.

City are showing they mean business after just six minutes a great knock down from Flack set Roscoe on the run only to see Tardiff smother the ball.So far similar to Carlisle, all over them and passing the ball really well.

With the next attack City won a free kick on the right edge of the box for a handball, Roscoe stepped up and popped a left footed curler through the whole defence to give City an early lead as it bounced under the keeper.

City are continuing to pick away at the Cherries' back line with the slick passing and movement with no reply from the opposing frontmen.Bournemouth's first real attempt came after twenty two minutes as Carl Fletcher dipped a shot over the bar from twenty five yards.

City nearly doubled the advantage as Flack found himself in space and time to see Tardiff pull off a fantastic one handed save although Flack was in an offside position.Bournemouth won a free kick after twenty eight minutes and had Miller to thank for a fantastic double save to keep City in the driving seat.

After thirty six minutes Bournemouth pulled themselves back into the match with some neat passing and a delicate little lob from Alan Connell that rattled in off of the post.Four minutes later and the Cherries were awarded a penalty for handball, Elliott stepped up and placed the ball past Miller to give themselves the upper hand.

Half Time Score: Exeter City 1-2 AFC Bournemouth

The second half starts with no changes from the team that finished the first half and City are now attacking the well populated St James' Road end.Coppinger won a free kick on the right side of the box after fifty three minutes which was cleared for a throw in.

With half an hour to go the second half so far has been a very dull game with both teams lumping long balls into the air.City have started to exert a bit of pressure in the Cherries half but are failing to convert anything into chances.

One chance that was created was between Coppinger and Goodman, Copp's scuffed a shot that bounced back off of the turf and Goodman got his head onto it to see the effort go just over the bar and away to safety.

Again City are forcing the play but are now starting to create some chances as Walker managed to get the ball through to Sheldon who couldn't get enough onto the ball to make it count.

Seventy two minutes in and things took a turn for the worse as Santos earnt himself a second yellow card to be sent of for the second time in seven games since making the move into English football from Brazil.

From the resulting free kick which was moved forward ten yards Gareth O'Connor smashed an unstoppable drive right through the wall and past the helpless Kevin Miller to put the game beyond doubt and past City.

City cannot create any more chances and with some help from a bad refereeing display the Grecians' sink to their second consecutive home defeat.

Final Score: Exeter City 1-3 AFC Bournemouth

City Line Up:
Kevin Miller, Graeme Power, Andy Roscoe (Kwame Ampadu 76), Steve Flack (Gareth Sheldon 41), Barry McConnell, Santos Gaia, Alex Watson, Don Goodman, Martin Thomas (Justin Walker 61), James Coppinger, Glenn Cronin
Subs not used: Stuart Fraser, Chris Curran

AFC Bournemouth Line up:
Chris Tardiff, Stephen Purches, Marcus Browning, Shaun Maher, Carl Fletcher, Wade Elliott, Derek Holmes (Chukki Eribenne 78), Alan Connell (James Hayter 70), Jason Tindall, Kevin Broadhurst, Danny Thomas (Gareth O'Connor 66)
Subs not used: Danny Bloomfield, Amos Foyewa

    Data provided by Press Association