Skip to main content


15:21 24th March 2010

Wycombe Wanderers 2 Exeter City 2

Richard Logan was Exeter City's saviour once again as his 89th minute equaliser helped salvage a 2-2 draw with Wycombe at Adams Park this afternoon.

The cult hero was put through by Barry Corr's flick and he coolly rolled the ball past Tom Heaton to complete the Grecians' comeback in the dying minutes.

Gareth Ainsworth and then Stuart Beavon capitalised on some uncharacteristically poor City defending as they both converted one-on-one's to give Gary Waddock's side a 2-0 lead.

But Liam Sercombe began the comeback with a stunning right-footed rocket after 66 minutes and for the second time in four days City grabbed a crucial goal at the death.

Wycombe Wanderers vs Exeter City_022

Paul Tisdale kept the faith with the team that beat Rovers at The Park on Wednesday night but Corr was recalled to the squad after serving the final game of his five match ban, he took Marcus Haber's spot on the bench. And the team took to the field in front of an extremely vocal travelling support armed with plenty of red balloons.

Adam Stansfield had been under the weather all week and hadn't trained since Wednesday's match but he was passed fit to partner Marcus Stewart in attack.

And Stansfield had City's first chance of the afternoon, robbing the ball off John Mousinho he went on a weaving run but his low shot was comfortably saved by Man Utd loanee Heaton.

Heaton has been receiving rave reviews in recent weeks and he wasn't tested by George Friend's free kick and at the other end City captain Matt Taylor was involved in an intriguing physical battle with Matt Harrold.

Wycombe's ginger striker headed missed their first real opening on the 20 minute mark when he rose above Richard Duffy to meet Ainsworth's cross but his headed landed comfortably wide of Paul Jones' far post.

Another header flashed wide on the half hour mark from Ainsworth after a dangerous corner and Taylor's touch let him down at a key moment as he looked to finish inside the box from Duffy's raking pass.

Sercombe was shining in midfield for the Grecians and he was putting in some crucial challenges, including one on Beavon as the forward looked ready to pull the trigger.

Neither team had really looked like breaking the deadlock until the 40 minute mark when Jones had to be at his best to deny Harrold. Wycombe's top scorer cut inside Taylor and Jones saved well with his legs.

The final chance in a solid if unspectacular first half came from Sercombe, whose shot was deflected wide.

His midfield partner, the in-form James Dunne, had the first chance of the second period but he shot wide.

But it was at the other end where Dunne would help end the stalemate, his miskick allowed Ainsworth to run through on goal and the experienced 36-year-old made no mistake as he rolled a shot through the legs of Jones.

City were really struggling to create anything in the final third with Stewart and Stansfield toiling to no avail and just as Tisdale was priming Corr and Logan the home side doubled their lead.

Wycombe Wanderers vs Exeter City_079

Dean Keates showed tremendous vision to put Beavon through and the expected offside flag didn't materialise andthe former Weymouth man put Waddock's side into a two goal lead.

A minute later City's strike pair were thrown on with Stansfield and Dunne making way and four minutes later it was game on again.

Ryan Harley gave the ball to Sercombe and the 19-year-old did the rest as he unleashed a rocket into the top corner infront of the travelling fans. Heaton didn't even move as Sercombe's first League One strike flew in off the crossbar.

City's tails were up and they pushed for a second in a real purple patch. Stewart had dropped into a withdrawn roll behind Corr and Logan and he began to have more of an influence on the game.

Sercombe's cross was too close to the keeper and Stewart shot over from Corr's clever pull back and Scott Golbourne was introduced for George Friend as Exeter looked to extent their unbeaten run to four games.

Wycombe Wanderers vs Exeter City_077

Rob Edwards put in another commanding performance and he made a superb block to send Beavon's goal-bound effort over the crossbar.

A superb passing move almost resulted in an equaliser at the other end, Stewart sent a ball out to Steve Tully on the right flank and his deep cross was headed at Heaton by Logan, the substitute failing to get enough power in his header.

But Logan, along with Corr, was having quite an impact in the final third and they linked up to devasting effect just as time seemed to be running out.

The Irishman's flick put Logan through and he advanced before slotting the ball home and the celebrations from fans, players and management were something to behold.

Logan slid onto his knees and celebrated in style with Club Photographer Cheggers and the exe-static travelling support behind the goal.

Wycombe Wanderers vs Exeter City_094

Wycombe Wanderers vs Exeter City_098

There may have only been one minute left on the clock but City nearly 'did a Carlisle' and lost 3-2.

Wycombe went onto have a string of corners which were superbly defended by the City backline including a very impressive save from Jones, he had to be at full stretch to push out a low drive from Mousinho.

He claimed another effort well in the dying seconds as the Grecians survived an onslaught for a point that could prove very important come May.

Wycombe Wanderers vs Exeter City_004

Keep visiting the Official Website for the views of Marcus Stewart, Richard Logan and Paul Tisdale as they reflect on a dramatic afternoon in Buckinghamshire