Skip to main content


16:04 1th November 2010

AFC Bournemouth 3 Exeter City 0

Exeter City never really recovered from conceding a stunning second minute opener as they went down to a fast, strong and effective Bournemouth side. Michael Symes curled a left-footed purler past Paul Jones after just 95 seconds and City always looked vulnerable when the home side poured forward in the first half. The Cherries then doubled their lead just before the half hour mark when Marc Pugh fired Liam Feeney's knockdown low into the corner and the game was killed off when Symes rolled a penalty past Paul Jones on 68 minutes. City boss Paul Tisdale made two changes from the team that beat Yeovil at Huish Park, Liam Sercombe and James Dunne being recalled for Bertie Cozic and David Noble, who has to feature again sooner than expected. With injuries to John O'Flynn and Daniel Nardiello ruling them out of the 18 Tisdale was certainly hamstrung in terms of his bench with Marcus Stewart the only recognised forward amongst the seven substitutes. The 810 travelling fans had barely time to register how their side was lining up before they trying to work out how they would come back from a goal down. In City's previous two matches the opening 15/20 minutes have been have cautious with both sides sussing each other out but Bournemouth started with a pace and intensity they would continue with even when comfortably ahead. Just 95 seconds had passed when Sykes cut inside in the left-back position and bent a lovely effort over Paul Jones' and into his top right-hand corner. Obviously stung by this early set-back City almost responded instantly, James Dunne cross from infront of the away fans and Jamie Cureton fired over the bar. Eddie Howe's men looked very dangerous whenever they pushed forward and after Jason Pearce hit the bar Paul Jones had to pull off a fingertip save to keep it at 1-0. His namesake Billy gave the ball away to Liam Feeney who ran at the City backline and squared it for Josh McQuoid who saw his shot superbly saved by Exeter's number 27. Four mintues later Ryan Harley's free kick came back off the stanchion behind the goal as the Grecians looked for a way back into the game. Richard Logan, starting his third game in succession, had won the free-kick for Harley's effort and he headed wide minutes later although Scott Golbourne should have really had a shot of his own, the former Reading man choosing to cross when the shooting opportunity had opened up for him. Despite looking lively in the final third and creating chances the Exeter defence was constantly under pressure by a home side that were shutting down the men in white whenever possible. It was no surprise then when Bournemouth doubled their lead on 29 minutes. Welshman Rhoys Wiggins bombed down the right-hand flank before sending a deep back-post cross to Feeney.
The 23-year-old cushioned his header into the path of Pugh who fired a low shot into the bottom corner before Paul Jones had a chance to dive. City looked shaken and needed Troy to come to the rescue twice with vital tackles on the impressive Marvin Bartley and then McQuiod. But it should really have been three shortly after but somehow McQuiod didn't get an effort on target from Pugh's cross. That was enough for Tisdale who shuffled his pack, taking Richard Duffy off for Noble and switching to a 4-4-2 formation, Billy Jones partnering Troy at the heart of the defence. And he created the last big chance of the half when he sent in an inch-perfect cross to the nearpost but Logan headed just inches. Just after the interval City created another great chance, Ryan Harley letting fly with an arrow of an effort that was destined for the top corner before Shwan Jalal kept it out. Jalal didn't need such acrobatics to keep out Logan's headed minutes later from Sercombe's right footed cross, the in-form striker heading straight at the Bournemouth shotstopper. It was Paul Jones' turn to be tested as Bournemouth continued to search for a third, former Grecian Anton Robinson teed up Pugh and his low effort was tipped around the post. Jake Thomson was then introduced for Dunne to give City something different going forward but just six minutes the game was well and truly put to bed. McQuoid seemed to be going nowhere when Troy was judged to have brought him down in the box on 68 minutes and after some confusion over whether the linesman flagged for a spot-kick or not it was left to Sykes to fire home his second of the net past Paul Jones. City had put together one of their better spells of the match proior to the spot-kick being awarded but there was little signs of a comeback in the dead minutes that followed. Marcus Stewart came on for Cureton but a Sercombe deflected effort and a late Logan shot aside there was little threat of a miraculous comeback on the South Coast. Bournemouth moved up into second place in League One and you can see them staying in the upper reaches with more performances like tonight's. City meanwhile will mark this one down as a bad day at the office and will look to get some much-needed rest before Rochdale come to The Park on Saturday. Peter Evans
Photos thanks to AFC Bournemouth
    Data provided by Press Association