Skip to main content


16:02 1th November 2010

Dag & Red 1 Exeter City 1

Exeter City were held to a 1-1 draw at Dagenham this evening despite Richard Logan's early goal.

City's number 20 headed Ryan Harley's right footed cross past Tony Roberts after just five minutes and his side went in at the interval ahead thanks to Paul Jones' fine fingertip stop.

The home side upped the ante in the second half and after a hat full of chances fell their way defender Romain Vincelot equalised, when he met Danny Green's corner with a firm header.

Paul Tisdale made two changes from the line up that faced Posh. Saturday's goalscorer Jamie Cureton replaced the injured John O'Flynn while Daniel Nardiello dropped to the bench and Richard Logan came in.

And Logie made an instant impact in the first real move of the match. Harley wasn't closed down on the right of the box and he had all the time in the world to clip a cross to Logan at the back post and his header across goal found the far corner for his second of the campaign.

Dagenham vs Exeter City 018

There was little to write home about in the minutes that followed, Richard Duffy marshalling the back four well and James Dunne was his tigerish self in midfield.

The closest John Still's side had come to a breakthrough was Green's cross that floated over Paul Jones' head before bring hacked clear by captain Steve Tully.

At the other end Cureton fired an effort wide as he looked to continue his impressive form in his second start in League One for the Grecians.

Three minutes later Harley tried to add to his own impressive tally with a very ambitious long range free kick that deflected and had Roberts worried.

City were beginning to find their feet and a great passing move ended with Cureton cleverly sliding in Logan but no one could profit from his tasty cross.

Dagenham vs Exeter City 029

The majority of the 1600 Daggers fans were then incensed by referee Oliver Langford's decision not to award a penalty when Scott Golbourne tussled with Stuart Lewis inside the box.

Then came Dagenham's best chance to open the scoring. Peter Gain hit a fizzing drive that deflected up off Golbourne and was heading in, had it not been for the fine reactions of Paul Jones.

That proved to be the last action of the first period and the home side were to create many more during a much improved second half the first of which fell to Josh Scott. Jones flying off his line to hack the ball away just at the right time to deny the striker.

Scott then looked like he'd equalised with a low shot that actually rippled the sidenetting but it was something of a warning for Tisdale's men.

At the other end Harley fired a long range effort into the 372 travelling fans enjoying the new-look away end.

Dagenham vs Exeter City 018

The flailing body of Duffy then denied Scott again as the game slowly warmed up after a tepid first half.

Scott's final contribution before bring withdrawn for new signing Bass Savage was a header from Phil Ifil's right footed cross that clipped Jones' crossbar with Exeter's number 27 beaten.

He would have to pick the ball out of his net though on 70 minutes when Vimcelot headed home a rare corner of quality from the Daggers.

They continued to press following their somewhat inevitable equaliser and Troy Archibald-Henville in particular performed admirably as he dealt with an increasing number of attacks.

The form of the former Spurs man so soon after a long term injury has been fantastic to see, especially with Matt Taylor yet to return to training, and Troy was arguably City's star man tonight.

On 74 minutes Tisdale shuffled his pack and sent on Nardiello for Cureton. The change was needed with the Grecians having been forced onto the back foot for long periods. Nardiello forced a corner with his first contribution and Logan was just inches from a second as he rose to meet Harley's delivery.

Jake Thomson, being watched tonight by good friend Theo Walcott, was introduced along with David Noble. Dunne and Golbourne making way.

Thomson carved out a decent chance for Nardiello shortly after his introduction but his goalbound shot was deflected for a corner. Taken quickly it saw Harley cross for Troy who shot over.

This match was becoming increasingly frantic with both sides searching for the killer second. Savage could only find the sidenetting when very well placed while Nardiello's curler was right into Roberts' hands.

The result means City's unbeaten run is extended to four and if that golden streak survives trips to Yeovil and Bournemouth in the coming days then this will look more and more like a good point.

Pete Evans

    Data provided by Press Association