Skip to main content


17:09 8th January 2012

Chesterfield 0 Exeter City 2

Second half goals from Richard Logan and Liam Sercombe helped Exeter City to only their second away win of the season at the B2net Stadium this afternoon. The turning point of the match came when Artur Krysiak kept out Danny Whitaker's 73rd minute spot kick and just five minutes later Logan rose to nod home James Dunne's right footed cross to give the Grecians the lead. And with just three minutes to go City grabbed a second when Sercombe fired a low shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. The final whistle saw the players, the 309 away fans and the management united in scenes of celebration as they reflected on their first win of 2012. Paul Tisdale made one change from the side that drew 1-1 with Yeovil, Guillem Bauza replacing the injured Jake Taylor while Billy Jones and Danny Coles returned to the matchday squad. The climax to Monday's match saw City in the ascendance and they carried on where they left off with a positive start to the match. And they carved out their first opening on six minutes when after a lengthy spell of possession Sercombe rushed a right-footed effort which didn't test Tommy Lee. Nine minutes later and the Grecians were threatening again. Troy, David Noble and Nardiello all tried their best to get shots away before Richard Duffy teed up Dunne and his drilled effort was well blocked. A string of corners followed from the away team and on 19 minutes Bauza forced the first real save of the match from Lee with a low right footed shot which the keeper could only push away and had his defender to thank for a vital clearance as Dunne closed in on the loose ball. Two minutes later Dunne turned provider with a lovely lofted ball that Bauza nodded into the path of Logan at the back post but his stinging effort was well saved by Lee. And from the resulting corner Troy rose to meet Sercombe's delivery but he could only thump his header over the bar. Chesterfield then enjoyed one of their best spells as they began to come back into the match after early Grecian pressure. On 28 minutes Neal Trotman's header was well held by Krysiak and two minutes later the Polish keeper was at it once again after Jack Lester span inside the box and got a shot away. City's attacking trio of Bauza, Logan and Nardiello linked up well throughout and on 37 minutes they all combined to create a great opening for City's top scorer. After Logan and Bauza exchanged passes Nardiello was teed up on the left hand side of the box but his fierce drive flew over the crossbar. Duffy was one of Exeter's star performers and he pulled off a fantastic diving block on 44 minutes to deny what would surely have been the opening goal after Whitaker got to the byline and teed up Lester. The first real chance of the second half came after Troy embarked on a mazy run from his own half and switched the play to Nardiello on the left hand flank but after cutting inside his marker he fired an effort wide of goal. And City's number 10 was involved in the next opportunity on the hour mark but a vital block from Gregor Robertson denied the former Blackpool man. The next opportunity came down City's right hand side with Dunne feeding Tully on the overlap. His cross was headed behind for a corner and from the resulting set-piece Duffy headed straight at Lee at the near post. On 64 minutes a fantastic flowing counter-attack resulted in a huge chance for the Grecians who were searching for only their tenth goal on the road this season. Nardiello's pace left his marker for dead on the half-way line and his pass was cutely diverted into the bath of Bauza by Logan but the Spaniard's shot was deflected over the bar. Then came the moment that arguably swung the match in City's favour and it was certainly a controversial one. The Exeter defence were flaggergasted to see referee David Coote point to the spot after Troy had tackled Lester in the area. After the protests had died down Whitaker stepped up infront of the away fans but he failed to get enough power and direction behind his kick low to Artur's left-hand side and the Pole kept it out. His team-mates dashed over to congratulate their goalkeeper and the home fans reflected on a massive chance to end that 16 game winless streak in League One. The confidence boost that came from Artur's stop seemed to push the Grecians on even more. Nardiello's effort was kept out by the body of a diving defender and City had the ball in the net from a set-piece but the linesman flagged for offside. And after a scare at the other end when Jordan Bowery headed Noel Mendy's cross wide City made the breakthrough on 78 minutes when Dunne's fine right footed cross was met by the head of Logan inside the box. Lee didn't move and Logie could celebrate his second goal in a week with the delighted City bench. A knock for the impressive Duffy saw Coles return to action after his red card at Colchester while John O'Flynn replaced Nardiello. And the Irishman would play a part in the 87th minute strike that secured a much-needed three points. He teed up Golbourne down the left flank and the left-back's cross found Sercombe in the centre who arrowed a fine low shot across Lee's goal and into the far corner. The final whistle saw Noble bowing to the travelling support and giving them the thumbs up. Tisdale doffed his cap to the 309 before running across the pitch to share a hug with the travelling faithful who will have plenty to smile about on the long journey home this evening.
    Data provided by Press Association