Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
08 August 2017 Venue St James Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English League Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

City v Charlton Athletic

All you need to know about Tuesday night's Carabao Cup match

7 August 2017

Exeter City will continue their season at home to Charlton Athletic in the Caraboa Cup on Tuesday night.

Both teams got off to a winning start in their league campaigns on Saturday, with City recording a 1-0 win at home to Cambridge United and League One Charlton beating Bristol Rovers by the same scoreline at The Valley.

Manager Paul Tisdale admitted he was pleased with the performance against Cambridge United, but was unsure as to whether he would name the same starting XI for Tuesday night’s match.

“The performance was certainly in a bracket that would warrant the result,” he said. “I thought we were very committed, quick to the ball and aggressive in our approach. Our play was purposeful.”

“I don’t know (if I will name an unchanged side) yet,” he added. “I will have to consider that. I think Charlton will be a different type of proposition and we have got a few bruised players in the changing room today, so we will have to see what happens on Monday and take it one game at a time.”

Seats are still available for the match in the IP Office Stand as well as standing in the Thatchers Big Bank at the following prices:


Seating: £22
Standing: £16


Seating: £19
Standing: £13


Seating: £9.50
Standing: £4.50

Wheelchair area:

Big Bank: £13
IP Office Main Stand: £19

To purchase tickets at the above price you can do so by visiting here, or the club in person, or by phoning 01392 411 243.

There will be a £1 increase on the ticket prices on match day for adults, seniors and students and a 50p increase for under-18s.

Hospitality is also available for these and all home fixtures. To enjoy a city match in style email: or call 01392 413957 for further information or to book.


THANK YOU to our matchday sponsor, RGB Building Supplies.

For more information on them visiting the following page.

We have an extensive range of sponsorship opportunities. For more information contact Jake Wood at Exeter City at

Extra entry and exit to the Thatchers Big Bank

The new turnstiles 1 and 2 are situated just around the corner from the set of four turnstiles in Stadium Way (numbered 3-6). Season ticket holders or those who have bought match tickets in advance can use these two turnstiles exclusively and avoid the queues at the other turnstiles where other fans are paying to enter the Stadium. The path from here leads up to the refreshment kiosk and toilet area behind the stand.
When it’s time to head home, those on the Well Street side of the Thatchers' Big Bank can exit using this same route too, avoiding the need to wait while fellow fans filter out of the gates by turnstiles 3-6.

Fans should head to the opening at the top of the Big Bank which heads back out to the kiosk/toilet area and then head down the path to the exit. It’s likely to save you time so please use this route.
Ticket purchase and collection

More fans than usual will require tickets as this is a cup tie where season tickets aren’t valid.

Please follow the instructions below, which are designed to get you to the right place first time:

  • IP Office Stand ticket purchase and collections: from the new ticket booth in Red Square opposite the club shop
  • Thatchers' Big Bank purchases: please head direct to the turnstiles tomorrow evening
  • Thatchers' Big Bank collections: from the new ticket booth in Red Square opposite the club shop
  • Season ticket collections: whilst not valid for the Charlton game, please head to the ticket booth to pick up any uncollected season tickets
  • Future home and away match purchases: these will be handled from the old reception area immediately to the right of the ticket booth

Redevelopment Work:

The away terrace and the Stagecoach Family Stand will not be open to supporters for Tuesday's game due to the redevelopment work at the club.

All entry for home fans will be via the Stadium Way turnstiles into the IP Office Main Stand or the Thatchers Big Bank. There will be no entry possible from the Jungle Path/Well Street side on to the Thatchers Big Bank.

For more information read the following article

Issue two of the new look Grecian will be available, from the club shop and around the ground at just £3.

Our captain Jordan Moore-Taylor will be the feature interview for this game as he talks about his captaincy, last season and the aims for the new campaign.


New Junior Grecians Family Zone

The new Junior Grecians family zone will be open to its members from 5.30pm and then to the general public from 6.30pm. The zone has video consoles, large TV screens and table football.

There is also a manned kiosk in the Family Zone for use from 6.30pm. There were lengthy queues at the other kiosks around the ground so if fans can make use of the kiosk in the in the Family Zone as well this would be much appreciated.

The zone is located in Red Square. For more information on it read the following article.

The club shop will be open from 8.30am to 10.30pm on matchdays and will be selling our new Flybe-inspired third kit. The club shop is located in Red Square, at the back of the IP Office Stand.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

City 1 Charlton Athletic 2

City fall to defeat against London side in Carabao Cup

8 August 2017

Sponsored by

Exeter City slipped to a narrow 2-1 defeat at home to Charlton Athletic in Round 1 of the Carabao Cup.

Despite Lee Holmes giving City a second half lead from a free-kick, goals from Billy Clarke and Regan Charles-Cook meant the Grecians will not progress to the next round of the competition.

City made three changes to the side that started the 1-0 league win over Cambridge United at the weekend as Troy Archibald-Henville, Luke Croll and Holmes replaced Jordan Moore-Taylor, Craig Woodman and David Wheeler.

An entertaining first half saw both sides have several opportunities to find the net, but for some excellent goalkeeping and missed chances from close range.

It was the visitors who started brightly, though, with Charles-Cook looking to test City’s incoming left back Croll immediately. The winger initially cut past the defender to the by-line, but the City number 23 did well to get back as Brown intercepted.

But despite the away side knocking the ball around well, City had their first attempt inside five minutes. Reuben Reid did well to hold up the ball for his team mates, before picking out an exquisite pass to find Holmes, whose curled shot was just over.

Moments later, Holmes was in again and running at the Charlton back four before seeing his attempt blocked for a City corner. The resulting set-piece then presented City with an excellent opportunity at the back post, but Dillon Phillips in the Athletic goal did well to block from Troy Brown at the back post.

On 12 minutes City had goalkeeper Christy Pym to thank after he made an excellent save from Charles-Cook, whose close-range effort from Karlan Ahearne-Grant’s low cross, looked destined for the net but for Pym’s block.

The City keeper was back in action minutes later when Tony Watt managed to latch onto Ben Reeves’ chipped through ball, but again Pym commanded his area as he bravely punched away despite Watt’s presence

The visitors then had another good chance, once again Ahearne-Grant causing problems down the City right, but his cross somehow evaded Watt at the back post who was unable to turn the ball into the net.

Despite the away side dominating possession, the Grecians managed to work a good opening on 25 minutes when Holmes managed to find McAlinden, but his effort edged just wide of Phillips’ post.

City then had an excellent opportunity to take the lead, again stemming from the counter-attack. McAlinden, who picked up the ball centrally managed to find Holmes, who picked out Taylor at the back post but his on target header was saved brilliantly by Phillips.

The Grecians then put together a wonderful piece of play as Taylor found Sweeney down the right-hand side, and the Irishman cut in well to fire a dangerous ball across the face of goal, which found Reid whose shot was blocked for a corner.

Paul Tisdale’s men then had the ball in the net through Brown’s thumping header at the far post from a corner, but referee Tim Robinson adjudged the City defender to have fouled Naby Sarr as Athletic were awarded a free-kick.

The away side came out after the break with similar intent to that of the first half, often using their wingers to get behind the City backline.

Ahearne-Grant had Athletic’s first real chance of the half when he managed to get on the end of a low cross from the right, but not for the first time, he was unable to find the net putting his effort wide of Pym’s goal.

But it was City who broke the deadlock first just after the 50-minute mark when Holmes’ in swinging free kick evaded everybody in the penalty area to nestle into Phillips’ bottom left-hand corner to give the forward his first goal of the season.

City had the ball in the net again, but once again they were denied by the linesman’s flag after Holmes had got on the end of a McAlinden cross from the right-hand side to bundle the ball in at the far post.

Tisdale’s men were then presented with a golden opportunity to strengthen their lead when McAlinden latched onto a long ball forward to get in behind the Charlton back line, but he could only fire his left footed shot straight at the onrushing Phillips.

But for all City’s efforts, the away side continued to battle and drew level on 71 minutes when substitute Billy Clarke saw his low effort deflect off the City defence, who were sliding in to block, but the ball looped over Pym and into the net.

The away side then took the lead just seven minutes later through the lively Charles-Cook, who managed to find space in the City box to fire across Pym into the far-left corner.

The match took a further twist just moments after Athletic took the lead when Andrew Crofts received a straight red card for a very strong challenge from behind on City sub Matt Jay, who had just entered the field.

The Grecians continued to battle, and in injury time almost drew level when Lloyd James’ stroked effort towards the bottom right corner was saved well by Phillips.

City were unable to find their way past a strong Charlton side, who did everything they could to hang onto possession in the final moments of the match.

Exeter City: (4-4-2) Pym; Sweeney, Archibald-Henville (Jay, 81), Brown, Croll; Taylor, Tillson, James, Holmes (Byrne, 73); McAlinden, Reid (Brunt, 81)

Subs not used: Hamon, Woodman, Wheeler, Moore-Taylor

Charlton Athletic: (4-2-3-1) Phillips, Jackson, Crofts, Reeves (Clarke, 58), Konsa, Aribo, Ahearne-Grant, Sarr, Charles-Cook, Watt (Hackett, 67), Dijksteel

Subs not used: Bauer, Kennedy, Umerah, Barnes, Maynard-Brewer

Booked: Reid, Tillson, Charles-Cook

Red Card: Crofts

Attendance: 2,699 (inc,308, away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account