City striker named as division’s runner-up
37-year-old striker Jamie Cureton has been announced as the runner-up of the npower League 2 Player of the Year award.
Curo had been shortlisted for the prize alongside Port Vale hitman Tom Pope and Bradford City captain Gary Jones. It was the Valiants’ striker that won top prize at the Football League Awards last Sunday, but Jamie was named in second place in a top-10 list which the Football League today announced.
The list was compiled through the votes of managers in each division. Each manager in League 2 was asked to nominate their top-5 from the division, excluding players from their own club.
The top-10 list in npower League 2 was at follows:
1. Tom Pope (Port Vale)
2. Jamie Cureton (Exeter City)
3. Gary Jones (Bradford City)
4. Nahki Wells (Bradford City)
5. Jennison Myrie-Williams (Port Vale)
6. Jacques Maghoma (Burton Albion)
7. Britt Assombalonga (Southend United)
8. Chris Hackett (Northampton Town)
9. James Hanson (Bradford City)
10. Adam Barrett (Gillingham)