Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Loan Report: April 19th

19 April 2016

A look at how Grecians are getting on away from St James Park

CITY FAN Exiled Grecian delivers an update on the Grecians on loan away from St James Park.

Connor Riley-Lowe
Truro City, National League South (Joined in July, six-month loan extended until the end of the season)

Connor missed both of Truro's games last week through injury.
League: 32 starts, 2 goals, 2775 minutes.
FA Cup: 3 starts, 252 minutes.
FA Trophy: 4 starts, 258 minutes.
Last game
5th April: Truro 3-0 Dartford, played 45 mins, replaced at half time.
Matt Jay
Truro City, National League South (Joined in January, one-month loan extended until the end of the season)

Truro hosted Weston-super-Mare last Tuesday as they looked to seal their place in the play off places. But things got off to a bad start for Steve Tully's men, falling behind to a Scott Wilson lob just six minutes into the match. The hosts failed to recover from their sluggish start, with Martin Rice a number of saves to keep them in the game. At the other end, their only meaningful chance came when Matt Jay laid off Cody Cooke, but he blasted over the bar. It was more of the same in the second half, with Weston eventually doubling their advantage when Arran Pugh put through his own net with fifteen minutes remaining. Matt did give the Cornish side hope late on when his header went in off the crossbar, but Jake Mawford sealed all three points for Weston in stoppage time.
The White Tigers had the chance to make amends on Saturday though, as they hosted Maidstone United. And it was another slow start for City as within five minutes Dumaka Dumebi headed unmarked to give the visitors the lead, while Alex Flisher shot wide when clean through just moments later. Truro were back level midway through the first half though, Ryan Brett scoring a low drive after Maidstone had failed to clear their lines. City's joy didn't last long though, Jay May headed a Flisher throw to give the visitors the lead 10 minutes before half time. The pair combined again twenty minutes into the second half to give Maidstone a two-goal lead and the three points. Matt was replaced straight after May's second goal.
Truro have now dropped to fifth, two points ahead of Maidenhead United but with 3 games in hand. They need five points from their remaining five games to seal a play off spot, whilst seven points would secure 4th place.
Truro City:
League: 15 appearances, 11 starts, 4 goals, 940 minutes.
Hayes & Yeading:
League: 6 starts, 2 goals, 540 minutes.
FA Trophy: 1 start, 90 minutes.

Last game
16th April: Truro 1-3 Maidenhead United, played 63 mins.
Alex Byrne

Weston-super-Mare, National League South (Joined in July, six-month loan extended until the end of the season)
Alex is still out injured with a sprained ankle.
League: 27 appearances, 20 starts, 1824 minutes.
FA Cup: 2 starts.
FA Trophy: 3 starts, 270 minutes.
Last game
15th March: W-s-M 1-2 Maidstone United, played 29 minutes before being taken off with a sprained ankle.
Jason Pope
Weston-super-Mare, National League South (Joined in July, six-month loan extended until the end of the season)

Following their midweek victory over Truro, Weston hosted mid-table Whitehawk on Saturday. The visitors took the lead in the twenty-fifth minute when Danny Mills' scorpion-kick lobbed Weston 'keeper Luke Purnell. And it was Mills who doubled the visitors advantage in the second half. In less emphatic style than the opener, Nick Arnold went on a mazy run down the right wing before finding Mills in the area, who placed it past Purnell. Ioannis Varouxakis halved the deficit in stoppage time, despite appeals for offside, but Weston couldn't conjure up an equaliser.
Jason played thirty minutes in two substitute appearances for Weston. He has now played eighteen games in his loan spell in Somerset, but has not started a game since 28th March against Bath City, making his last five appearances from the bench.
Whilst Weston are currently four points clear of the relegation zone with just two games remaining, Havant & Waterlooville could reduce the deficit to three points should they win their game in hand against Truro on 28th April.

League: 18 appearances,9 starts, 890 minutes
FA Trophy: 0 starts, 2 games, 46 minutes
Last game
16th April: W-s-M 1-2 Whitehawk, played 16 minutes.
James Hamon
Hayes & Yeading, National League South (Joined in February, one-month loan extended until the end of the season)

Hayes hosted mid-table Concord Rangers on Saturday. Hamon was largely untroubled in the first half, as Garry Haylock's men dominated but somehow couldn't find a breakthrough. The visitors did have one clear-cut chance towards the end of the half, but Hamon made himself big as the striker inexplicably shot wide when inside the six yard box. The second half started in much the same vein, with Hayes missing a couple of half-chances. But the hosts' have suffered due to poor defending all season and, after failing to clear their lines, the ball found its way to Joao Carlos just inside the box, whose low shot deflected off a defender and looped over Hamon.

The visitors then rallied, having a number of chances, but it was only from a poor Darren Purse backpass that Hamon was called into action, as he saved well with his feet. He then almost had an assist; his long ball forward found Max Worsfold, whose shot cannoned off the post. The hosts eventually got the equaliser they deserved when Emmanuel Monthe headed home from six yards in the eighty-fifth minute. Hamon then saved a one-on-one with the side of his thigh to keep the scores level. And in the ninetieth minute Elliott Benyon converted a penalty to complete an emphatic comeback, with the striker jumping into the crowd whilst celebrating. The drama wasn't over though, as the game entered the fifth minute of stoppage time Hamon rushed out in a one-on-one, but Ben Greenhalgh easily converted to break United hearts.
Hayes are one point behind safety and are without a win in five games. If Havant & Waterlooville win their game in hand they'll be two points from safety with two games to go.

League: 12 starts, 1 clean sheet, 1080 minutes
Last game
16th April: H&Y 2-2 Concord Rangers, played 90 minutes.
Kyle Egan
Bideford, Southern League Premier (Joined in March)

Bideford went into last Tuesday's home game against Merthyr Town knowing that anything but a win would see their four-year stay in the Southern League Premier Division come to an end. And just eleven minutes into the game the visitors' Kevin Squire headed towards goal when unmarked, but his effort came off the crossbar, bounced on the line and was eventually cleared. Other than that, the first half was a cagey affair. In the second half Bideford went looking for the goal that would keep them in with a very slim chance of survival. Kyle, who was the "source of much positivity down the Bideford right" according to the match report, crossed for Ian Simpson, but his header was straight at Glyn Garner's arms. Both sides had good chances to take the lead in the second half but, with twenty minutes remaining, a combination of Egan and Sampson brought down Kayne McGlaggon in the box, and Kyle Prosser broke Bideford hearts by slotting home the resulting penalty. Bideford were unable to find a way back into the game and are relegated with three games remaining, a remarkable feat considering they were eighteen points from safety in February.
Their trip to Kettering Town on Saturday was postponed.
League: 5 starts, 450 minutes
Last game
12th April: Bideford 0-1 Merthyr Town, played 90 minutes.
Jordan Storey
Bideford, Southern League Premier (Joined in March)

Jordan came off the bench for the last ten minutes as Bideford went in search of a comeback to postpone their relegation by at least another few days.
League: 3 appearances, 1 start
Last game
12th April: Bideford 0-1 Merthyr Town, played 10 minutes.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account