Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Leyton Orient 0 Exeter City 1

22 November 2016

Match Reports

Leyton Orient 0 Exeter City 1

22 November 2016

Grecians record sixth away win of the season

Exeter City recorded their sixth away win of the season with a 1-0 victory away at Leyton Orient.

A goal from Ollie Watkins after 25 minutes was enough to settle the tie as a resolute defensive performance from the Grecians restricted the home side to just one shot on target all match.

Both sides started the match tentatively, but City created the first clearcut opening after 20 minutes when a powerful run forward from Reuben Reid set up a chance for David Wheeler, but Tom Parkes got across with a last-ditch sliding challenge to prevent him getting shot on target.

However, four minutes later City were in front as Liam McAlinden, who had a lively first half, played superb crossfield ball to find Wheeler in space on the right side of the area and he cut a ball back to Watkins eight yards out and the Newton Abbot youngster found the bottom corner for his fourth goal this season.

The home side's frustrations grew as the first half wore on with Simpson striking over from 30 yards and Callum Kennedy hitting a cross into the stand behind the Grecians goal.

Reid then had a great chance to make it 2-0 when a cross found him unmarked in the area, but the linesman flagged the City striker offside as he headed the ball just past the upright.

As the half came to a close Reid then had another close-range effort blocked and Jake Taylor was inches away from getting on the end of a low Wheeler cross as boos rung around the Matchroom Stadium from a displeased home crowd.

Orient boss Alberto Cavasin made two changes at the break, with Robbie Weir and Callum Kennedy being replaced by Alan Dunne and Sandro Semedo.

However, it was City who started the second-half the brighter as Watkins chipped a ball into Reid in the area and he laid the ball off for McAlinden to fire a shot that Alex Cisak managed to block with his legs.

However, substitute Semedo started to cause City problems down the right and delivered a couple of low crosses that the Grecians had to boot out of their six-yard box.

City keeper Pym that had to be alert as another low cross was diverted towards goal by Nigel Atangana. It was a smart stop by the Grecians keeper, but the ball broke loose and fell to Jay Simpson who fired over under pressure from Jordan Moore-Taylor.

Another powerful run forward from Reid then had Orient scampering back towards their own goal and as the 28-year-old pulled the ball back across the face of goal Parkes was in the right place to clear once again.

As the game entered the closing stages, City had a couple of free-kicks and corners to defend but saw out the game without further incident to move up to 21st in the table.

Leyton Orient (4-4-2): Cisak, Kennedy (Dunne, 46), Parkes, Collins, Weir (Semedo, 46), McCallum (Palmer, 59), Massey, Atangana, Hunt, Simpson, Judd. Subs (not used): Sargeant, Pollock, Dalby, Ochieng.

Exeter City (4-5-1): Pym; Sweeney, Moore-Taylor, Croll, Woodman; Wheeler (Stacey, 65), Taylor, James, Watkins (Simpson, 88), McAlinden (Oakley, 65); Reid. Subs (not used): Olejnik, Grant, Jay, Brown.

Attendance: 2926 (316 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account