Grecian Goal, the fun way to support City, has funded the large Exeter City crest which stands tall and proud on the new Stagecoach stand at St James Park.
The donation was made from a small group of pledgers who contribute funds to Grecian Goal by sponsoring things such as goals scored at St James Park.
Speaking about the donation, Elaine Davis said: “When the idea of sponsoring the City Crest on our new Stagecoach stand was suggested, Grecian Goal pledgers responded very enthusiastically and agreed it was a very good use of their fundraising.
“Now that the large new crest is in place we are incredibly proud and that feeling will remain for years to come.”
The new City crest in place on the new Stagecoach Stand
Grecian Goal was originally the brainchild of former Stadium Manager Dacre Holloway, as a way of raising money for the club. His first Grecian Goal funded project was to drain the then very boggy, training pitch at the Cliff Hill training Ground.
It seemed a shame to let such a practical fundraiser cease after Dacre's untimely death, and it was revived in 2009 by Supporters' Trust trustee Elaine Davis.
There are currently over 40 pledgers who contribute funds and have some fun doing it. Pledgers set their own terms and conditions, ranging from the sensible to the eccentric - some past examples of pledges include £1 per goal scored by City, and £10 if a seagull lands on the pitch whilst the game is in progress.
Grecian Goal has now raised £20k for Club projects over the past eight years.
Supporters choose a pledge for the season e.g. £1 per goal scored, clean sheet, ball out of the ground etc. Elaine keeps track of the pledges and collects the money twice a year.
The new Stagecoach Stand, as seen from St James Station
The money has been used to support large and small club projects, sometimes funding them alone but very often contributing alongside other City supporters' groups.
Since 2009 Grecian Goal have provided or supported:
- 2010 - Pitch in for City
- 2011- Floodlights and Signage
- 2012 - Refurbishing the tea huts, a new tumble drier for the Cliff Hill and a donation towards the Physio's therapy bed
- 2013 - Light up the Park, Memorial Garden
- 2014 - Physio equipment, power washer for SJP, LED lights for the Centre Spot
- 2015 - Ambassadors' coats, cookers for the kitchen, PA system, Memorial Garden Bench
- 2016 - Players' GPS kits, IP Office Main Stand hand rails, Family Room
- 2017 - Camera tripods, microphone and rain cover, equipment for Soccer Sight, SJP ground tour leaflets
- 2018 – Main Stand Hand rails donation and Large crest on the back of the new Stagecoach stand
New Grecian Goal pledgers are very welcome. If you like the idea of Grecian Goal, please contact Elaine Davis via email on: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01392 875804.
Up next at St James Park:
City face West Ham under-21s on Saturday, September 25 in a 7:45pm kick-off. Click here to purchase tickets online!