Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

👤 1989/90 player profiles: Richard Young

Profiling the championship winning side on the 30th anniversary of the title

27 April 2020

April 28, 1990, remains one of the finest days in Exeter City's history as, on the back of an incredible home record, we secured our first title in our club's history. During this month we will be taking a look back - in alphabetical order - of the main players in that title winning side. This time we look at a reliable and versatile player who made 20 appearances during the title winning campaign.


Richard Young started his career as an apprentice with Notts County. Signing a full contract for the Magpies in August 1986, he went on to feature in 35 league games, scoring five goals. 

After just one full senior season at Meadow Lane, Richard was signed by Southend United for a fee of £25,000, but a serious thigh muscle injury limited him to just five league starts and a further four outings a substitute. 

Despite these setbacks, Terry Cooper could see the potential in the big, bustling centre forward, and brought him to St James Park in March 1989, for a fee of £5,000. 

Making his debut in a 3-0 home defeat against Cambridge United, Richard went on to play in 13 of the final 14 games of the season, contributing four goals to the cause as City finished 10th in Division Four 

At the beginning of the 1989/90 campaign, Richard found himself used mostly from the bench, but the loss of Darran Rowbotham to injury in March meant that the player who the fans nicknamed ‘Tyson’ would play a key role in the run-in. 

Featuring in 14 of the final 15 games - and starting in 12 of those matches – the best spell of Richard’s career coincided with one of the Grecian’s finest periods, as he scored in five of the final six games of the season to help City cement their place at the top of the table. 

Unfortunately those goals that Richard played an important role in securing the title would prvoe to be the highlight of his short career as, after losing his place in the team, and being sidelines with a back injury, he turned down a £30,000 move to Hereford United in December 1990. 

Shortly after, Richard was involved in a car accident in the early hours in Wiltshire, and was ultimately released by the Grecians for a breach of contract in March 1991 having not reported to St James Park or contacted manager Terry Cooper for several weeks. 

To this day mystery still surrounds what happened to Richard following his time at St James Park, yet his powerful displays and contribution to our historic title win will always be remembered and appreciated by those who where there to see us crowned as champions. 

This article has been created using material from the Grecian Archive and ECFC Museum as part of the 'Celebrating our Heritage' programme, funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and supported by the University of Exeter. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account