Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

⏮ League One Rewind: City 5 Sheffield Wednesday 1

We focus on the other side of Sheffield as City recording a stunning victory

9 June 2022

Club News

⏮ League One Rewind: City 5 Sheffield Wednesday 1

We focus on the other side of Sheffield as City recording a stunning victory

9 June 2022

In our second instalment of 'League One Rewind', we head back to December 2010 when Sheffield Wednesday travelled down to St James Park with the chance to go top of the league with victory.

Exeter City 5 Sheffield Wednesday 1 - Saturday 18 December, 2010

Just a week before Christmas, the UK was hit by heavy snow in large parts of the country, meaning the clash with the Owls was one of only eight fixtures in the Football League, and the only game in League One, to take place that weekend. 

Despite the conditions in the South West, Wednesday trekked down from the Steel City and were guarannteed a game after the superb work of volunteers worked tirelessly to clear both the pitch and the surrounding stadium vicinity of snow and ice. Their efforts paid off as they were treated to thriller in EX4. 

Wednesday sat second in the table and a win would have taken them to the summit above Brighton and Hove Albion, while the Grecians were ninth, just four points outside the play-offs after 19 matches. It was also the first game for Wednesday under the new ownership of Milan Mandaric.

Both sides had early chances to take the lead in the match, but it was Grecians who drew first blood after 29 minutes when Jamie Cureton fired in from inside the area after Steve Tully laid off Ryan Harley's cross into his path. 

City's lead last a little of 90 seconds though as Wednesdaty reacted well to going a goal down. After Clinton Morrison's effort was tipped round the post by Artur Krysiak, Tommy Miller's volley from the resultant corner was adjudged to have crossed the line, despite Harley's attempt at clearing the ball.

Level at half time, though the Grecians did spurn a number of chances to go in ahead, Paul Tisdale's side ascerted authority after the break as they scored twice in a three minute spell to take a 3-1 lead.

First, Liam Sercombe fired in a sublime long range effort as he chested down the ball 30-yards out before volleying the ball home. Then it was Scott Golbourne's turn to get his name on the scoresheet as he poked home from close range as the Owls failed to clear their lines inside the area.


Eleven minutes later it was four as Cureton bagged his second of the game. It was a stunning move from the Grecians as Liam Sercombe picked out the 35-year-old striker with a pinpoint threaded pass before Cureton held off the defenders to roll it past Nicky Weaver. 

City were not done with the scoring either as there was still time for John O'Flynn to add a fifth Grecian goal two minutes before the whistle. He neatly chested down a brilliant cross into the area from the right before coolly firing past a helpless Weaver, who was unmoved.

Paul Tisdale's post-match comments:

"It was a great day. I've been questioned a number of times as to why I've stayed at Exeter and today was a perfect example of why.

"I only relaxed once we'd scored our fifth, that's my nature as you never know what can happen.

"We kept our tempo high and it was a really professional, good performance and I'm more than happy with they way the team have played."

City XI: Krysiak, Tully, Duffy, Taylor, Golbourne, Jones, Harley (Thomson), Noble (Dunne), Sercombe, Cureton, Logan (O'Flynn).

Subs not used: Jones, Edwards, Cozic, Nardiello.

Attendance: 5,524

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account