Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Yeovil 2-2 City

11 August 2012

Bennett and O'Flynn score in final pre-season match

Exeter City rounded off their pre-season preparations with a 2-2 draw at Yeovil this afternoon. 

Scot Bennett gave a strong City line-up the lead after just six minutes before Ed Upson's fine finish drew the League One side level on the half hour. 

O'Flynn had a very good shout for a penalty turned down before he put City back infront from the penalty spot. 

City made a string of subs and the much-changed line up conceded a last minute goal when Reuben Reid fired home. 

The 115 travelling Grecians in the 817 crowd saw their team line up: Krysiak, Amankwaah, Coles, Baldwin, Moore-Taylor, Sercombe, Doherty, Bennett, Bauza and O'Flynn. 

They certainly hit the ground running and took the lead after just six minutes, Liam Sercombe's corner fell to Bennett inside the box and he was left with the simplest of finishes. 

Bauza, starting in place of Alan Gow whose name was on the team-sheet but who wasn't risked after a slight strain, had Exeter's next chance but he rolled his shot at Marek Stech. 

At the other end Artur Krysiak pulled off a smart save to deny Reid's drilled effort from an angle and when the ball fell to Gozie Ugwu he crashed a shot over the bar. 

On 22 minutes the referee waved away what looked like a stone-wall penalty for a foul on O'Flynn and the Irishman had a great chance six minutes later but he rolled a shot at Stech after a fine Tommy Doherty pass. 

Two minutes later Upson stepped away from his marker and curled a shot across goal and into the far corner to make it 1-1. 

On the stroke of half-time the League Two side were back infront. O'Flynn robbed the ball off a Yeovil defender and fed Bennett bombing on. 

It looked like City's number four would slip the ball back to O'Flynn racing to his right but he surprised everyone by slipping through Bauza on his left. 

Bauza knocked the ball past Stoch before the keeper hauled him down and it was left to O'Flynn to smash the small past the keeper. 

It took eight minutes for the first chance of a low key second half - Richard Hinds rising to meet a corner but Krysiak was up to it. 

Then the subs began: Cureton replaced O'Flynn and Aaron Dawson, Jimmy Keohane, Elliott Frear and Ellioty Chamberlain coming on for Sercombe, Doherty, Moore-Taylor (who once again shone at left-back) and Bauza. 

Pat Baldwin was then called upon to make a goal-line clearance on 73 minutes after James Hayter had knocked the ball over Krysiak.

Jacob Cane and Jordan Tillson then got some match time for Danny Coles and Arron Davies. City seemed set to claim the victory as the forgettable second half wore on but with a minute to go a deep free-kick from Jamie McAllister was knocked down and Reid lashed the ball home.

Advertisement block