Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Weekend League 2 round-up

2 March 2014

Club News

Weekend League 2 round-up

2 March 2014

All the action from the weekend in League 2

Exeter City fell to a third successive defeat as all of the goals came in the first half of York City’s 2-1 win at Bootham Crescent.  John McCombe headed the first from Adam Reed’s corner, before Michael Coulson doubled the advantage on 27 minutes.  Scot Bennett pulled one back just two minutes later to make the remainder of the game interesting, but the Grecians couldn’t manage to draw themselves level. 

The Minstermen are now unbeaten in five, and their manager Nigel Worthington told BBC Radio York: “It’s three great points and we’ve had to work very hard for it.  It’s probably the hardest I’ve worked to try and keep them going and get them over the line.  In the first 20 to 25 minutes it was how we like to play, at the tempo we like to play.  We got two goals but then we got comfortable and it got tired and scrappy.  We stuck at it and saw the job through and it’s a fantastic three points.”

Lewis Alessandra scored two-fifths of Plymouth's goals against Morecambe

The Grecians’ two Devon neighbours were both involved in heavily one-sided affairs on Saturday, though with mixed fortunes.  Plymouth Argyle were rampant 5-0 winners over Morecambe, as John Sheridan’s side moved within two points of the play-off places with their third win in a row.  Durrell Berry got the first before Lewis Alessandra made it 2-0 shortly before half-time.  It took until the last 15 minutes for the floodgates to open though, as Curtis Nelson headed the third from a corner, Andres Gurrieri got number four and Alessandra got his second to complete the rout in injury time.  “We’re in a position where we can give ourselves a good chance,” Sheridan told  “We just need to keep winning games.  We’ve just got a bit of momentum at the moment, so we’ve got to carry that on in to the next game. There’s a long way to go, and I’ve told them to enjoy it before we get ready for Bristol Rovers on Saturday.”

While the Pilgrims had a day to remember, looking north Torquay United had a one to forget, as their trip to Victoria Park and Hartlepool United ended in a 3-0 reverse.  Jack Barmby, the player on loan from Manchester United, got the first, 19-year-old Luke James scored for the 14th time this season and former West Ham, Aston Villa and Blackpool man Marlon Harewood got his first Pools goal to round off the scoring.  “We played really well in the first half and should have been leading the game at half-time,” Gulls boss Chris Hargreaves told the Club’s official website.  “We passed the ball well but conceded the first goal, and then a second from a set-piece, which was very disappointing.  I’m disappointed for our fans because they’ve travelled a long way to watch and I thank them for their support.  They’re a great set of fans and I’m not happy for them.  We’ll be doing our very best next week to put in a good performance”.

Paddy Madden had completed a turnaround for Scunthorpe, only for the Iron to be pegged back by Newport in the final minute

With leaders Chesterfield not in action until Monday, Scunthorpe United had the chance to secure the top spot when they went to Wales to play Newport County AFC.  Things looked to be heading that way when David Syers put the Iron 2-1 up with just seven minutes left to play, but Chris Zebroski’s 90th-minute equaliser meant that Russ Wilcox’s side a still a point adrift of the Spireites at the top.  The Exiles had previously been in front as Lee Minshull scored with a diving header, but Paddy Madden replied as Scunny’s comeback was under way.  County’s late goal means that although Scunthorpe have reached the 60-point mark, they are joined on that points total by Rochdale, who were comfortable 3-0 winners over fellow high-fliers Oxford United.  Scott Hogan scored a hat-trick, taking him to 17 goals for the campaign and just one shy of Sky Bet League 2 top scorer Sam Winnall of Scunthorpe.

Barry Corr opened the scoring for Southend, only for Wycombe to equalise

Burton Albion went fourth with a 2-1 win over Accrington Stanley at the Pirelli Stadium.  Billy Kee’s penalty was the winner for Gary Rowett’s side, after his earlier goal was cancelled out by Dean Winnard.  There is a four-point gap between the Brewers and the top three, but there’s an eight points looking down to eighth, so Albion look a good bet for a play-off place again at this stage.   Former Exeter City man Barry Corr scored as Southend United took the lead against Wycombe Wanderers, but Phil Brown’s side shot themselves in the foot seven minutes later as Danny Bentley scored an own goal.  1-1 was how it ended, and the Shrimpers’ top-seven spot now looks under credible threat from the likes of Plymouth.

Despite now occupying the 13th spot in the league table, Cheltenham Town’s win over Bury was only their fourth victory at Whaddon Road this season.  Ashley Vincent took just two minutes to pull the Robins level from Clive Platt’s opener, and the 2-1 comeback was completed late-on by Byron Harrison’s second goal in as many games.  A goalless draw at home to AFC Wimbledon meant that Fleetwood Town remained in fifth, while it also finished 0-0 between Dagenham & Redbridge and Mansfield Town and at Sixfields as Northampton Town hosted Bristol Rovers.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account