Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: AFC St. Austell 0-5 Exeter City

4 August 2015

Club News

Match Report: AFC St. Austell 0-5 Exeter City

4 August 2015

Young Grecians secure comfortable win in Cornwall


Exeter City: Pym, Egan, Read, Tillson, Down, Merritt, Oyeleke, Jay, Charles, Gill, Watkins.
Subs: Hamon, Harkness, Rodgers, Storey, Rosenwald, Reid.

Goals: Oyeleke, Reid x2, Watkins x2


A flurry of second-half goals meant a comfortable Exeter City win after an evenly-fought first-half at AFC St. Austell.

The Grecians came into this one with a young side very similar to that which saw off Bodmin Town 3-1 a week previously. One man who retained his starting place from that one was young forward Cameron Gill, and he had a big part to play in the first half, with two great chances falling his way in the opening half an hour, but the scores remained goalless at the break.

Another player who also had a key say into proceedings was Manny Oyeleke. Oyeleke, the most senior of the players involved, ran things from the middle of the park, and the majority of the aerial offence that the Lillywhites put in was well-dealt with by Josh Read at centre-back.


Josh Read had to clear off the line shortly after the break as Christy Pym was beaten by one of the St. Austell strikers. Seeking a new approach up front, Jamie Reid was called for in place of Cameron Gill. Matt Jay, scorer of two goals against Bodmin, went on a mazy run, beating defenders at will, before firing over, shortly before in a separate move Jay set up Watkins to be denied by the home side's goalkeeper.

But City were not made to wait long for their breakthrough, which came as Manny Oyeleke picked up a corner before cutting inside and curling the ball with aplomb into the corner of the net. One became two very quickly, and Oyeleke was involved again - he was the man fouled in an incident that looked certain to give the Grecians a free-kick, but Jamie Reid had other ideas. The substitute picked the ball up and put it beyond the St. Austell goalkeeper before the referee had had a chance to blow his whistle.

The goals continued to flow in the remainder of the second half. Ollie Watkins was the scorer of the third, as a long-ball from Matt Jay found Joe Charles, who laid the ball off for his strike partner to finish. Number four was Jamie Reid again, and this time it was from the penalty spot, after Watkins had been fouled.

After Jordan Storey had replaced namesake Tillson came number five, which was arguably the best of the lot. Interplay between Jay and Watkins resulted in Watkins joining Jamie Reid on two goals for the evening. City even had the luxury of hitting the bar - through Oyeleke - as they finished the ninety minutes as comfortable winners.


Attendance: 312

Man of the Match: Jamie Reid

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account