Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Torquay United 2-1 Exeter City

31 July 2015

Club News

Match Report: Torquay United 2-1 Exeter City

31 July 2015

City edged out at Plainmoor


Torquay United: Speiss, Butler, Fenwick, MacDonald, Geohaghon, Briscoe, Fairhurst, Murombedzi, Brobbel, C. Richards, Smith.

Subs: J. Richards, Marsh, Yeoman, Prynn, Lavelle-Moore, Chaney, Odofin, Lavercombe.

Goals: Murombedzi 21', Lavelle-Moore 64'

Exeter City: Olejnik, Noble, McAllister, Ribeiro, Harley, Oakley, Holmes, Davies, Nichols, Wheeer, Brown.

Subs: Butterfield, Nicholls, Hoskins, Reid, Oyeleke, Hamon, McCready, Tillson, Watkins, Read, Charles.

Goals: Nichols 2'
Referee: Brett Huxtable


EXETER CITY were edged out at Plainmoor as Torquay United came from behind for a 2-1 pre-season win.

Tom Nichols handed the Grecians an early lead, converting after Lee Holmes had cut in from the flank, but Shepherd Murombedzi's pounding equaliser made sure the sides went in level at the break.

Despite David Wheeler hitting the post and another close shave for Nichols in the second half, it was Torquay that won it, as Malachi Lavelle-Moore headed in captain Exodus Geohaghon's long-throw with his first touch since coming off the bench.

City manager Paul Tisdale named a strong starting line-up for this one, with the same eleven that began the friendly against Sheffield United just over a week ago taking to the field at Plainmoor from the beginning.

And that strength told barely minutes after kick-off. Lee Holmes cut inside on the right flank before feeding Tom Nichols, who fired past Fabian Speiss in the first real move of the match.

The hosts' first chance came when Ryan Brobbel cut inside and sent the ball in the direction of Courtney Richards, the midfielder firing narrowly over. Richards was in the thick of the action again when he blocked Ryan Harley's effort before it became a danger to the Gulls' goal, while Bobby Olejnik was alert to stop Brobbel's cross from creeping in at the near post on thirteen minutes.

After Torquay's Bayan Fenwick shot wide, the Gulls were level with their next opportunity. Dan Butler fed Brobbel down the left, and his cross went over everyone in the box except Shepherd Murombedzi, who powered the ball into the roof of the net.

With City looking to regain their advantage, Lee Holmes was flagged offside after some neat build-up play from David Noble and Tom Nichols, before Torquay's Dan Butler just reached Ryan Harley's cross ahead of David Wheeler. The Grecians' best opportunity for a second, however, was when Wheeler slid the ball across the face of goal, Nichols inches short of getting a connection on what would have been a certain goal.


Troy Brown hit a ball over the top for David Wheeler to spectacularly smack onto the post on the half-volley in the early stages of the second period. Tom McCready, Alex Nicholls and Danny Butterfield were introduced by the Grecians, but it was to be a Torquay sub that made the biggest impact.

A long-throw fom Gulls captain Exodus Geohaghon was met by new arrival Malachi Lavelle-Moore, who converted his first touch since coming on to hand Torquay the lead. Torquay had two half-chances to extend their lead further, but first Sam Chaney gave the ball away after collecting Ryan Harley's mis-placed pass, and then Louis Briscoe was dispossessed at the last gasp by Troy Brown.

City's best chance yet in the second half came as David Wheeler headed the ball down to Tom Nichols - the striker clipped the ball over Torquay keeper Fabian Speiss on the turn, but Torquay's first-half goalscorer Shepherd Murombedzi cleared the ball off the line.

Will Hoskins was sent on in place of Nichols for the final twenty minutes; the frontman's first piece of action since his arrival at Exeter City was officially announced on Thursday. However, City, though on top, couldn't manage to pierce the Torquay backline again. 2-1 the final score.


Attendance: 1,497 (383 away)

Man of the Match: David Wheeler

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account