Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

📝 Exmouth Town 1 City 2

Grecians progress after win in Exmouth.

10 April 2019

Sponsored by

Exeter City sealed a spot in the final of the Devon St Luke’s Challenge Cup against Plymouth Parkway after they came from behind to beat Exmouth Town 2-1.

A youthful City side fell behind on 72 minutes when Ben Steer found the net with a low effort, but the Grecians quickly levelled when Alex Hartridge fired home from close range following a set piece. Ben Seymour then netted the winner with a well taken goal 12 minutes from time.

The opening 25 minutes saw little by the way of clear-cut chances with Max Smallcombe going closest for the Grecians when good work from Joel Randall got him in behind the Town back line, but for Smallcombe to hit the side netting.

Most of City’s chances in the opening period fell from shots on the edge of the box and crosses which just evaded their targets. Luke Croll went close when he met Jack Sparkes’ free-kick but the defender was unable to guide his header on target as it drifted narrowly passed the post.

The Grecians did well to limit Exmouth to very little in front of goal but were given a scare on 33 minutes when Nathan Cooper challenged goalkeeper Felix Norman in the air, but the City goalkeeper did well to claw the ball away from danger.

The second half saw City go close on 52 minutes when some fortunate play saw the ball fall to Seymour, and with just the keeper to beat, his low effort was dragged wide of goal.

The opening goal did come, but it fell for the hosts, when substitute Steer cut in from the right before hitting a low left-footed effort into the bottom right-hand corner.

But City weren’t behind for long when a set piece saw the ball come in from the right, and despite a crowd of bodies challenging for it, Hartridge was on hand to level things with a simple finish.

Just two minutes later City went in front when the Grecians worked it well out wide to Seymour who got in behind, and despite being at a tight angle, a powerful low finish put the Grecians ahead.

City continued to manage the game well but were given a real scare in the dying moments of the game when a rebound fell to an Exmouth player who fired the ball towards goal before it came back off the post, and as bodies scrambled in the box, City somehow managed to get it clear and confirm themselves a spot in the final.

Exeter City: Norman, Dyer, Hartridge, Dean, Croll (Simpson, 60), Kite, Key, Smallcombe, Seymour, Randall, Sparkes
Subs not used: Arthur, Lawrence, Diabate, Morison

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account