Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

📝 Match Report: Oldham Athletic 0 Exeter City 2

Our write-up of a crucial three points

19 March 2022

Match Reports

📝 Match Report: Oldham Athletic 0 Exeter City 2

Our write-up of a crucial three points

19 March 2022

Sponsored by

Cameron Dawson’s crucial penalty save spearheaded ten-man City to a fantastic win against Oldham Athletic.

Kyle Taylor netted his first City goal with a deft header at the near post to open the scoring.

With the score line poised, Dawson made a stupendous save to deny Sam Hart from the spot.

Nigel Atangana was sent off with Oldham in the ascendancy but a swift counter attack saw Jevani Brown seal the points deep into injury time. 

City extend the unbeaten run to four going into Tuesday’s trip to Port Vale.


Matt Taylor made four switches from the midweek win over Crawley. Matt Jay and Josh Key among those rested on the bench. 

City almost made an immediate impact on the game.  

Within thirty-seconds, the Grecians won a corner. A short interchange soon found the returning Kyle Taylor who got to the byline and delivered a cross to the back post, inches from finding a City head.  

Though the sun was shining, the overhead bluster may have had an affect on the opening quarter of an hour.  

For Oldham’s first creation, the Latics recycled a free-kick before Davis Keillor-Dunn sliced over. 

The hosts almost took the lead on the 20 minute mark. An unfortunate slip from Jack Sparkes allowed Dylan Fage space in the box who fired wide across the box. 

Keillor-Dunn’s second chance tested Cam Dawson’s concentration. A swivel on the edge of the box worked half-a-yard of room. Keillor-Dunn’s left footed effort was tipped over by the City keeper. 

Tim Dieng was unlucky not to get contact to a teasing Archie Collins free-kick. A decent ball to the back post was attacked by the Frenchman who couldn’t direct his chance goalward.  

City skipper Pierce Sweeney came closest to breaking the deadlock with eight minutes left of the half. Another wicked Collins delivery was met by the centre-half but his header whistled past the post.  

City started the second half with much more energy and within a couple of minutes the visitors were ahead via Kyle Taylor. 

Alex Hartridge followed up a cleared throw in with a deep ball back into the box. Jake Caprice showed ingenuity by flicking the ball into the centre. Unmarked in the six-yard box Taylor couldn’t miss, sending the 452 travelling City faithful into raptures. 

Buoyant after his first City goal Kyle Taylor went for goal a few minutes later. After breaking clear Taylor wound up a shot straight down the keeper’s throat.  

Sam Stubbs, ever dangerous from corners earned a decent chance as City had their tails up. Jevani Brown’s corner fell nicely for Stubbs who headed over. 

Archie Collins almost sneakily doubled City’s advantage. Jack Sparkes done excellently to win a free-kick on the left hand side. From a tight angle Collins tried to catch Danny Rogers out at his near post, but the shot was batted away.  

Out of nothing Oldham got their chance to equalise from the spot. A high boot from Nigel Atangana saw him in the book.  

Cameron Dawson, the man of every occasion, dug his team out of the hole with a miraculous save down to his left to keep Exeter in front! 

A blow to the visitors came with 15 minutes to play, Kyle Taylor being stretchered off. We wish a speedy recovery, Kyle! 

Taker of the penalty Sam Hart came close to making amends on 85 minutes. A driving volley from about 20-yards was well dealt with by Dawson again.  

As seven minutes were added on, Nigel Atangana found himself walking down the tunnel early after a hefty challenge.  

Oz Zanzala had a great chance to finish the game for the ten-men. Patient work on the left saw Jake Caprice send the ball infield to Matt Jay. A decent ball into Zanzala was headed over.  

To much relief and jubilation, City made the points safe deep into injury time.  

Oldham sent men forward and on the break, Caprice had the freedom on Boundary Park to pick out Jevani Brown in the middle. Calm and composed, Brown caressed the ball into the top corner. 

 Result over. Action definitely not, Cam Dawson made another fantastic save at point blank range.  

Up the other end, Zanzala stung the keepers’ hands before MJ was denied on the follow up.  

With no time to take the corner, City celebrate a crucial three points and travel back to Devon with all momentum. 

Oldham Athletic: Rogers, Clarke, Hart, Adams, Whelan, Hope (Stobbs 90’), Keillor-Dunn, Fage (Missilou 65’), Hunt, Obadeyi, Sutton 

Subs: Leutweiler Couto, Diarra, Bahamboula, Vaughn

Exeter City: Dawson, Carpice, Sweeney, Hartridge, Stubbs, Sparkes, Collins, Dieng (Atangana 46’), Taylor (Jay 79’), Brown, Phillips (Zanzala 68’)

Subs: S.Brown, Diabate, Key, Coley

Referee: Seb Stockbridge

Attendance: 5,111 (452 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account