Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

📝 Match Report: MK Dons 0 City 2

Jevani Brown on the double as City secure away win

28 January 2023

Match Reports

📝 Match Report: MK Dons 0 City 2

Jevani Brown on the double as City secure away win

28 January 2023

Jevani Brown was the difference maker as the forward scored both goals in City's 2-0 win away at MK Dons.

A goal in each half, including one from the spot made it three wins from four on the road as the Grecians continued their good run on the road.

Following on from the loss away to Portsmouth in the previous game, Gary made four changes from last weekend. Missing out were Jamal Blackman, Josh Key, Harry Kite and Kegs Chauke. Replaced by Jokull Andresson making his third debut for the club on an emergency loan, Jack Sparkes, Archie Collins and Rekeem Harper, with the latter getting his first start under Gary Caldwell. Both Demetri Mitchell and Will Aimson made the bench following their recent transfers in the past week.

From the off City were keeping hold of the ball playing sharp, short passes between the midfield and attack. This led to an early chance for Brown, who picked up the ball on the edge of the MK area after a pass from Collins, but his effort went just wide of the post.

Straight down the other end came MK but two consecutive efforts from Dawson Devoy left Andresson very much untroubled with the big Icelandic keeper able to gather the ball and clear it away.

After an exciting opening five minutes, the game slowed down for the following ten with neither team able to make any chances. 

MK should have taken the lead midway through the first half when Mo Eisa found himself baring down on Andresson but the keeper made himself as big as possible and he hit wide of the post - a huge let off for City.

Only moments later and the Dons had a potential attack snuffed out on the halfway line as Brown took it upon himself to commit a ‘tactical foul’ by dragging down the MK player and having his name taken to receive the first yellow of the game.

City were starting to get the ball under more control, with the midfield and attacks telepathy joining up once again. This led to a big penalty shout for Joe White after the midfielder was upended in the Dons penalty area but neither of the officials budged.

With 35 minutes played Brown played a fantastic through ball to Sam Nombe but just before the 11-goal forward was able to shoot, Dons' Devoy slid in and took only man and got nowhere near the ball, with referee awarding a stonewall penalty for the Grecians. Up stepped Brown and like every other penalty attempt this season the magic man slotted the penalty away into the bottom right-hand corner, taking his tally in the league this season to 11 goals.


As the first half was ticking on, the game entered into five minutes of added time and there was a massive chance for the Dons once again as a header from a corner left Andresson planted to the surface, and everyone watched in slow motion as the ball bounced just past the post and behind for a goal kick.

Now that the second half was well underway, the Dons found themselves with a freekick 30 yards out after a foul from Harper, but the effort sailed high over the bar for a City goal kick, MK were having the chances but unable to find the target.

The 60th minute of the match gave Gary a chance to make his first change of the game, departing the pitch was White and, in his place, slotting into the forward role was Jay Stansfield.

Stansfield almost had the perfect start to the game. After a corner routine for City didn’t work out, Dons counter attacked but an excellent interception from Caprice led to an immediate counter-attack from City. Caprice fed in Nombe whose intricate pass found Stansfield but the loanee took to many touches and his shot was smothered behind for a corner.

Only moments later and City eventually made it 2-0, with the magic man Brown getting himself on the scoresheet once again. After picking up the ball in the middle of the park Collins attempted a through ball to Brown but an almighty deflection off an MK Dons defender helped the ball onto the City man who after a few touches smashed the ball past a helpless Cumming.

After a hard fought 76 minutes, Gary made his second and third changes of the game with Mitchell coming on to make his first appearance in an Exeter shirt in place of Nombe and Kite replacing Harper in the middle of the park.


With the second goal scored for City and the game coming to an end, City were starting to have fun down both the wings with Sparkes, Caprice and new boy Mitchell seeing lots of the ball. As the game was slowing down Gary was able to make his final change of the game with Kegs Chauke coming on in place of the games only goal scorer Brown.

The Dons were able to have one final chance with the clock ticking down to the final moments. Eisa found himself ten yards out but to the surprise of many in the stadium he flashed it wide.

The next game for City is a home fixture against Charlton Athletic on Saturday February 4th, hope to see all you Grecians back at SJP.

MK Dons: Cumming, Watson (Lawrence, 88), Tucker, Eisa, Leko (Dean, 76) , Johnson (McEachran, 68), Harvie ©, Kaikai (Grigg, 88), Devoy (Grant, 68), Jules, Maghoma

Subs not used: Ravizzoli, Burns

City: Andresson, Sparkes, Hartridge, Diabate, Sweeney ©, Caprice , Harper (Kite, 76), Collins, White (Stansfield, 61), Brown (Chauke, 90), Nombe (Mitchell, 76)

Subs not used: Lee, Aimson, Grounds

Referee: Andy Haines

Attendance: 6,719 (614)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account