Parley Sports Ladies 3 Exeter City Ladies 5

Grecians into first round of FA Women’s Cup

Exeter City Ladies navigated their way through a tricky fixture at Parley Sports to secure a place in the first round proper of the FA Women’s Cup.

After a game when the net rippled on no less than eight occasions, it was the Grecians that came out narrow victors with a 5-3 win.

Parley took the lead after 10 minutes when a defensive mix-up allowed striker Laura Baker to score past the stranded Carley Barber.  However Exeter soon equalised, when a first time shot by Kirsty Caunter from the edge of the penalty area found the top corner.

Parley were playing good football and retaining possession, and Exeter just couldn’t stamp their authority on the game.  Parley took the lead again when a ball over the top caught the Exeter defence square and Barber was lobbed as she advanced off her line, with Baker again the goalscorer.

Exeter had to make a substitution just after the half-hour mark when Lola Garcia Sanchez replaced the injured Sophie Simpson, it the sub who got the equaliser just five minutes after crossing the white line.  A corner to the back stick was headed back into the danger area by Tash Knapman, and found Garcia Sanchez to turn in.

With the scores level at 2-2 at half-time, manager Gareth Young’s team talk was to tell the girls to be more competitive as they were being out-battled around the pitch.

The second half saw Exeter dominate creating numerous chances and being more competitive.  City took the lead for the first time before the hour-mark as the threatening Garcia Sanchez was taken out in the penalty box with a blatant trip, and Caunter coolly slotted home the penalty to put Exeter ahead.

Minutes later Exeter’s lead was doubled as Vicky Barter picked out Garcia Sanchez with a through ball, and she calmly slotted in for City’ fourth.  Number five followed by Knapman, smashing in at the back post when Caunter’s corner wasn’t cleared effectively.
Parley’s third came in stoppage time as Baker completed her hat-trick by slotting in a rebound.  However it was too late for them to mount a comeback, and saw Exeter’s name in the hat for the first-round draw.