Match Report: AFC Wimbledon 2-1 Exeter City

City lose out at Kingsmeadow


AFC WIMBLEDON: Shea, Fuller (capt), Robinson, Osborne, Meades, Beere, Reeves, Barcham (Rigg 76'), Elliott (Azeez 67'), Akinfenwa (Taylor 67'), Francomb.
SUBS: McDonnell, Nightingale, Fitzpatrick, Gallagher.

GOALS: Francomb 28', Azeez 81'
EXETER CITY: Olejnik, Noble (Oyeleke 71'), McAllister, Harley, Oakley (capt), Holmes, Davies (Butterfield 50'), Hoskins (Morrison 77'), Wheeler, Tillson, Brown.
SUBS: Hamon, Woodman, Nicholls, Grant.
GOALS: Harley 33'

Referee: Darren England


Goals from George Francomb and Adebayo Azeez condemned Exeter City to a 2-1 defeat, with Ryan Harley offering the Grecians' reply.

Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale handed Will Hoskins his first start for the club at the Cherry Red Records Stadium, with Tom Nichols still absent after missing out at Sunderland in midweek. Matt Oakley and Ryan Harley also returned to the starting line-up, while the Dons welcomed back strikers Tom Elliott and Lyle Taylor after short-term injury lay-offs.

It was the home side that threatened the most in the early ten minutes, the culmination of which bringing the best chance of the opening exchanges. After two City efforts at clearances had been unsuccessful, Andy Barcham tried cutting inside from the wing onto his right foot, but saw his effort deflected narrowly wide for a corner. Nothing came of it, and minutes later, Lee Holmes had a shot blocked after strong build-up play by Will Hoskins and Matt Oakley.

Adebayo Akinfenwa's header was headed off the line by Matt Oakley as the clock neared twenty minutes gone, but City went behind in contentious fashion eight minutes later. After referee Darren England gave up on telling Jon Meades to take a throw-in from the correct position, his throw was flicked on before being converted by George Francomb. City only had to wait five minutes to get back on level terms, however. After Will Hoskins' lay-off, Ryan Harley took possession, before making space for himself to drill in the leveller on thirty-three minutes.

The Grecians would even have another goal ruled out before half-time, as Lee Holmes' cross sailed in, only for the referee to deem Troy Brown pushed his marker with the ball in the air.


The Grecians returned for the second half unchanged, but Danny Butterfield would replace Arron Davies at right-back five minutes into the period. The opening exchanges of the second half saw few chances if any, with the Grecians limiting the supply to the Wimbledon strikers but not creating anything of their own at the other end.

With City getting only one of the fifty-fifty decisions throughout the course of the second half, Wimbledon got a second ten minutes from time. Sub Lyle Taylor broke free on the right wing, crossing for another replacement, Adebayo Azeez, to head in.

Despite a late Ryan Harley free-kick going just wide, City did not get the points that their performance merited.


3,803 (467 away)

Man of the Match: Ryan Harley