Match Report: Exeter City 0-0 York City

City and Minstermen in goalless draw at SJP


Exeter City:
Olejnik, McAllister, Ribeiro (Tillson 29'), Harley, Oakley (capt), Holmes, Davies, Nicholls (Hoskins 63'), Oyeleke, Nichols (Morrison 74'), Brown.
Subs: Woodman, Noble, Hamon, McCready.


York City: Flinders, Lowe, Winfield, Zubar (Ilesanmi 16'), McCoy, Penn, Summerfield (Nolan 68'), Berrett, Tutonda, Hyde (Sinclair 74'), Oliver.
Subs: Carson, Ingham, Rzonca, Godfrey.



Exeter City were held to a goalless draw by York City at St James Park.

Paul Tisdale made two changes to the side which won at Dagenham & Redbridge in midweek, with Matt Oakley and Arron Davies both coming into the side. York, meanwhile, included James Berrett, who scored their winning goal over Yeovil Town on Tuesday.

The visitors began the game on top, but failed to create any clear openings in the opening exchanges. As City started to grow into the game, they showed promise along the flanks, with Lee Holmes popping up on both sides and looking bright, but they also suffered from a lack of chances. Ryan Harley put a free-kick into the wall after Dave Winfield was booked for coming through the back of Manny Oyeleke.

There was a lengthy delay as Stephane Zubar went down awkwardly, with both Zubar and Christian Ribeiro leaving the action with injury soon after. Despite six minutes of added time as a result, neither side could grab an opener.


With a light rain arriving at the break, Bobby Olejnik made a good save from Luke Summerfield, but it wouldn't have counted, as the York player's team-mate Jake Hyde was ruled offside in the build-up. Manny Oyeleke had the best chance yet for the Grecians when he drove towards goal before unleashing an effort that skimmed the Minstermen's bar, before Troy Brown pulled off a crucial last-minute interception to dispossess Vadaine Oliver.

City had an even better chance when Tom Nichols burst free on the left before centering for Ryan Harley, the Grecians' number 7 side-footing wide. With Clinton Morrison and Will Hoskins were both introduced, City were on the attack even more, and Ryan Harley curled a free-kick narrowly wide. David Tutonda scuffed over his own crossbar for the visitors, and despite some great interplay between Harley and Morrison, there was no breakthrough to be found.

Bobby Olejnik kept his first clean sheet for the Grecians as the score ended 0-0.


Attendance: 3,139 (150 away)

Man of the Match: Manny Oyeleke