FA Youth Cup Report: Bournemouth FC 1-6 Exeter City

Skyrme Pleased With FA Youth Cup First Round Win

EXETER CITY academy coach Lee Skyrme said his side performed well as they ran out convincing 6-1 winners away to Bournemouth FC last week in the first round of the FA Youth Cup.

A Ben Seymour brace, plus goals from Mustafa Rehemi, Frank Rosenwald, Will Richards and Max Smallcombe meant it was the Grecians who progressed into the second round, where they will meet Oxford United at home on November 18th.

City will go into that match high in confidence following a good display in Hampshire. The visitors started the game well, with the team pushing for the first goal right from the off.

“We got on the front foot early, because we felt it was important to get the first goal of the game,” Skyrme said. “The pitch was ok, but it was difficult to play our style of football, though the boys did well given the conditions.”

Exeter spurned a couple of early chances in a tight contest during the opening stages, and they were denied a penalty shout as they continued to conjure up continuous waves of attacks.

On twenty-nine minutes they did break through. Ben Seymour found himself inside the penalty area before he was clipped and a foul was given. The striker picked himself up and dispatched the spot-kick to open the scoring.

Just moments after, the lead was doubled when Rosenwald picked out his fellow attacker Rehemi, and the latter finished off a flowing move to give Skyrme's side a two-goal advantage.

Five minutes later and it became 3-0 courtesy of Seymour again, before it became 4-0 on the stroke of half-time when Rosenwald turned his defender to fire home.

“We were reasonably happy at half-time,” Skyrme said. “We talked about the few things we could improve but we were generally happy with the way it was going.”

The second period was barely five minutes old when the Devon club notched once more. Richards attacked from his left flank and linked with Seymour before slotting home.

It proved to be a fruitful spell for the away side, but they conceded on fifty-five minutes after a short back-pass meant the Poppies took full advantage to reduce the deficit.

The Bournemouth goal didn't disrupt the rhythm of Exeter though, and they scored once again with fifteen minutes to play after quick thinking from Kavanagh Keadell. The goalkeeper's speedy distribution led to a swift counter-attack, leading to Smallcombe to complete the scoring and wrap up a convincing display.

“I thought the team played really well in the first thirty minutes of the second half," Skyrme added. “There was some really good, fast-flowing football being played, which was nice to see.They got a goal back, which I'm not too disappointed about, but we got back on top, and scored again.

“All in all, we went there with a game plan, and we performed it well. We showed a high level of skill by producing the football we did in difficult conditions, and I am really pleased with the way we have created some good chances with our style of play. I'm looking forward to the next round.”