Match Report : 08/11/2015

Didcot Town 0-3 Exeter City


DIDCOT TOWN: Bedwell, Heapy (Williams 87'), Organ, Ballard, Carnell (capt), Learoyd, Dutton-Black, Self (Francis 65'), Janes, Martin (Powell 90+1'), Longford.
SUBS: Woodley, Deabill, Collins, Edney.

EXETER CITY: Olejnik, Davies, Brown, Moore-Taylor, McAllister, Harley, Noble, Oyeleke (Nicholls 62'), Wheeler, Nichols (Watkins 79'), Morrison (Grant 77').
SUBS: Hamon, McCready, Butterfield, Tillson.

GOALS: Morrison 48', Nichols 73', Nicholls 78'

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh


GOALS FROM Clinton Morrison, Tom Nichols and Alex Nicholls ensured Exeter City have a place in the Second Round draw of the Emirates FA Cup at the Draycott Engineering Loop Meadow Stadium.

City manager Paul Tisdale made four changes to his starting line-up for the FA Cup First Round tie. Jordan Moore-Taylor returned to the centre of defence after sitting out last week's trip to Barnet, and was joined at the back by Arron Davies. Clinton Morrison started up front, while there was also a place for Manny Oyeleke in the middle.

City enjoyed much the better of the first-half chances but couldn't break through. David Wheeler headed into the arms of Didcot goalkeeper Leigh Bedwell, before City's best early chance came when Jamie McAllister crossed for Jordan Moore-Taylor to direct another header goalwards.

Mark Janes had the best Didcot chance of the period as he put the ball wide to Bobby Olejnik's right, but it wouldn't have counted as the assistant's flag was up. A flare-up was sparked by Jack Self's ugly challenge on Clinton Morrison - both men were booked following the ensuing ruckus.


It took just over two minutes of the second half for City to grab the lead. The ball played in to Clinton Morrison in the Didcot box, the City striker took a touch before his deflected effort landed in the net for his second City goal. Tom Nichols was booked for a two-footed striker's challenge minutes later.

Andrew Ballard produced a contender for wayward shot of the season on the hour, with Jamie McAllister booked shortly after. Twenty minutes left, and Didcot had their best chance yet, the ball reaching Josh Dutton-Black beyond the last line of defence but Bobby Olejnik smothered. Didcot were quickly punished for not making the most of that opportunity - after David Wheeler brought a save out of Bedwell with his header from Arron Davies's cross, Clinton Morrison looked for the acrobatic rebound, but after that was blocked, Tom Nichols was left with an easy finish for the second.

Mere seconds after Joel Grant's seventy-seventh-minute introduction, the Jamaican international sped past the Didcot goalkeeper and shot accurately for fellow sub Alex Nicholls to bundle home number three.


Attendance: 2,707

Man of the Match: David Noble