Match Report : 26/09/2015

Exeter City 0-2 Wycombe Wanderers


Exeter City: Olejnik, Woodman (Morrison 63'), Noble, Ribeiro, Oakley (capt), Holmes, Moore-Taylor, Hoskins (Nichols 66'), Wheeler, Grant (Nicholls 66'), Brown.
Subs: Pym, Tillson, Oyeleke, McCready.
Wycombe Wanderers: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, McGinn, Pierre, Thompson, Bean, Bloomfield (capt) (Kretzschmar 70'), Harriman, O'Nien (Sellers 90'), Ugwu.
Subs: Lynch, Banton, Amadi-Holloay, Rowe.

Goals: Jacobson 51', Thompson 57'


SECOND-HALF goals from Joe Jacobson and Garry Thompson helped Wycombe Wanderers become the first side to beat Exeter City at St James Park this season.

Paul Tisdale made three changes to the Grecians side that faced Accrington Stanley a week ago, with Joel Grant making his first start for the first-team, Jordan Moore-Taylor included for the first-team for the first time since his injury, and Will Hoskins making his own return from an injury lay-off to lead the line.

After Wycombe contributed the first effort via Joe Jacobson, two quick Exeter City chances first saw Craig Woodman play in Will Hoskins to set up David Wheeler, who would bring a save out of Chairboys goalkeeper Matt Ingram. Then, Hoskins was involved again as he fed Joel Grant, who put the ball over the bar when one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

The visitors might have ended the half-with just ten men, as Marcus Bean went over the top in a challenge on David Wheeler. He got away with just the yellow card.


With the referee beginning to award fouls City's way, as Aaron Pierre was penalised for a push and Sido Jombati got nothing for a dive, it was sod's law that Wycombe would take the lead via Joe Jacobson's excellent free-kick on fifty-one minutes.

Injustice turned into calamity for City just a few minutes later. After Matt Oakley's free-kick failed to beat the first man, Joel Grant initially looked to have stopped a Wycombe break, but his attempted flick gave possession away, and left Wycombe with a two-man overlap. It was one they made the most of; Garry Thompson smashed the second past Bobby Olejnik.

City were never to get back into it despite a lively appearance off the bench from Clinton Morrison - they succumbed to their first home defeat of the season.


Attendance: 3,639 (360 away)

Man of the Match: Christian Ribeiro