Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Taunton Town 0 Exeter City 3

Goals from Harvey, McAlinden and Brunt settle match at Viridor Stadium

20 July 2017

Match Reports

Taunton Town 0 Exeter City 3

Goals from Harvey, McAlinden and Brunt settle match at Viridor Stadium

20 July 2017

Exeter City continued their pre-season with a 3-0 win over Taunton Town at the Viridor Stadium.

A first half strike from Tyler Harvey and second half goals from Liam McAlinden and Ryan Brunt sealed the win for City in what was a generally comfortable night for Paul Tisdale’s men.

The City boss once again made a host of pre-season changes as he continues to ready his squad for the new season.

The Grecians began the first half well with a great deal of possession in the Town half.

Lee Holmes had City’s first opening just two minutes in after he latched onto a long ball on the left. The midfielder produced a dangerous cross towards Matt Jay, but the striker was unable to get on the end of it.

But the home side were keen to impose themselves on their visitors, offering an aerial battle with City defenders, Luke Croll and Troy Archibald-Henville.

Ross Staley had the hosts first attempt at James Hamon’s goal with a free-kick, but he was unable to test the City keeper as the Grecians cleared.

Taunton then had a good chance on 13 minutes when a deep free-kick from Shane White was met by the head of Matt Wright, but the forward’s effort lacked conviction as Hamon collected comfortably.

City then broke quickly through Craig Woodman’s long ball towards Holmes. The City winger sneaked inside of Pierce Mitchell and had his right foot shot blocked before Archie Collins saw his effort cannon off the far post.

The Grecians took the lead on 18 minutes when Harvey scored a fantastic volley at the far post from Holmes’ corner. The forward managed to evade the Town defence and set himself up to thump a low volley past Town keeper Lloyd Irish.

The goal scorer was back in the thick of the action just a couple of minutes later when he spotted Irish off his line. But despite chipping the goalkeeper, his effort sailed just over the crossbar.

The home side continued to put the Grecians under pressure with their aerial threat and the dangerous deliveries from the likes of White.

But City kept the ball well as Alex Byrne and Collins both impressed in midfield. Holmes almost doubled City’s lead on 35 minutes after his curled free-kick, which was heading for the top right corner, was saved by White.

The Grecians continued their good football towards the end of the first half, but for their impressive play they were often unable to find shooting space in and around the Town area as the resolute Somerset side continued to battle.

The second half saw City make a double change with Christy Pym and Liam McAlinden taking to the field in place of Hamon and Harvey.

But it was the home side who started sharply with substitute Les Afful looking to run in behind Grecians at every opportunity.

Just five minutes in the forward had the ball in the net from close range, but the referee disallowed the goal after Pym was fouled when attempting to claim the cross which had set up Afful.

Tisdale then made nine changes on hour mark with many of the more experienced heads taking to the field for the last half hour in Somerset.

But it was the most inexperienced of the lot who had a good chance shortly after coming on as Jack Sparkes had an effort from close range fly just over Irish’s goal.

However, City were not to rue their missed opportunity for too long when McAlinden intercepted a poor back pass to fire in left footed and double the Grecians’ lead.

Shortly after scoring, McAlinden was then replaced by long term absentee, Robbie Simpson, who in his first phase of play after entering the field had a glorious chance to make quite a comeback, but his effort flew over the Town goal.

City then had a golden opportunity to go further ahead again through Sparkes. The youngster stepped up to take a close range free-kick but saw his effort saved well to the left of Irish.

The Grecians then found their third goal of the night late on when Ryan Brunt beat the offside trap to run through on goal. The striker saw his first effort saved well, but he slotted home the rebound to seal a convincing pre-season win.

Taunton Town: Irish, Mitchell (Burrows, 73), Brett, Adelsbury, Villis, Palmer (Stone, 77), White (Afful, 45), Trowbridge, Wright (Gould, 68), Powell, (Charles, 45), Staley (Chamberlain, 45)  

Exeter City: Hamon (Pym, 45), Barthram (Sweeney, 60), Woodman (Sparkes, 60), Archibald-Henville (Moore-Taylor, 60), Croll (Brown, 60), Byrne (Tillson, 60), Jay (Brunt, 60), Collins (Taylor, 60) Egan (James, 60), Holmes (Harley, 60), Harvey (McAlinden, 45)

Subs: Storey, Hartridge




Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account