Who took home the awards on Sunday night?Exeter City held its annual end-of-season, best of British themed Ball in the grand marquee at St James Park last night.
Over 300 guests including fans, sponsors, staff and players came together in the grand marquee to celebrate the achievements of the Grecians so far this year.
The 2016/17 season is now far from over after City secured a play-off place by beating Doncaster Rovers 3-1 on Saturday.
David Wheeler picked up five trophies on the night, including the prestigious accolade for fans’ player of the season award, in a campaign which has seen him find the back of the net 19 times. Those goals also earned David the Golden Boot and break an eighty-year record for consecutive goals scored with eight in seven matches.
David picked up the supporters’ group player of the year awards for East Devon Grecians and the Norwegian Grecians and the Football in the Community PFA in the Community Champion for his work with FITC in getting local kids active.
The players’ player of the season went to City's Jake Taylor, who manager Paul Tisdale stressed had been an integral part of the squad this season, playing in a number of positions and doing the simple things well.
The fan-voted award for goal of the season went to Jake Taylor for his screamer away to Barnet on October 15. The ball fell to Jake Taylor, following a clever dummy from Pierce Sweeney, and the former Reading man fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner from 25 yards. Special mention on the night went to Jordan Moore-Taylor’s stunning strike against Doncaster, which came just after the voting ended.
This year the Exeter City Ladies team were included in the awards. The player of the year trophy going to Manfy Sharpe and the players’ player of the year award to Emily Toogood.
A new award for this season was the Grecian Travel award for away player of the year. This came in a season that has seen City break a club record for most wins away with 13. The award went to City skipper Jordan Moore-Taylor.
The Exeter City Disabled Supporters Association (EDCSA) most improved player went to City keeper Christy Pym this year.
The awards ended with City starlet Ollie Watkins being re-presented with his award for EFL young player of the year, following in the footsteps of Gareth Bale and Dele Alli. Ollie also picked up awards for Junior Grecians and North Devon Grecians player of the season accolades.
Full list of winners on the night:
- East Devon Grecians Player of the Year – David Wheeler
- Grecian Travel – Away Player of the Year – Jordan Moore-Taylor
- ECDSA Most Improved Player – Christy Pym
- Exeter City Ladies Player of the Year – Manfy Sharpe
- Exeter City Ladies Players’ Player of the Year – Emily Toogood
- Norwegian Grecian’s Trophy – David Wheeler
- Exeter City Supporters’ Trust Young Player of the Year – Archie Collins
- North Devon Grecians Player of the Year – Ollie Watkins
- Football in the Community PFA in the Community Champion – David Wheeler
- Junior Grecians Player of the Year – Ollie Watkins
- Golden Boot – David Wheeler
- Goal of the Season – Jake Taylor vs Barnet away
- Players’ Player of the Season – Jake Taylor
- Fans’ Player of the Season – David Wheeler