The annual Exeter City awards were held at the Great Hall, Exeter University last night to celebrate the good and great of a successful season that is far from over.
An audience of 380, including players and their wives and partners, club staff and directors, key sponsors and supporters were in attendance at the Great Hall for a fantastic evening that highlighted standout moments, and performers from the 2017/18 season so far as the Grecians look ahead to the play-offs.
The event was kindly sponsored by St Austell Brewery, with Warwick Event Services the event partner.
On the night, City keeper, and one of our own Christy Pym picked up six awards including the prestigious accolade for Hawksmoor Investment Management fans’ player of the season award, in a campaign which has so far seen him keep 13 league clean sheets and earn high praise for a string of match-saving performances.
Christy would also earn recognition from his teammates and pick up the players’ player of the season award, as well as picking up the Grecian Travel away player of the year, Junior Grecians player of the year, the Dom Sanders memorial tankard and the East Devon Grecians' player of the year.
The fan-selected award for Vospers' goal of the season went to Jayden Stockley's 87th-minute strike against Swindon Town. Although Jayden got the finishing touch, the goal was a pure team effort, with almost all in red and white touching the ball before Pierce Sweeney's chip to Hiram Boateng in the area, which was cut back for Stockley to fire in.
Jayden also picked up the golden boot after notching 24 strikes so far in his first season as a full-time Grecian, and the award for North Devon Grecians' player of the year.
The award for Exeter City Disabled Supporters Association's most improved player went to City defender Pierce Sweeney, in a season where the Irishman has put in consistent performances and added goals to his game. Pierce has scored nine so far in all competitions and become City's main penalty taker this season.
City-skipper Jordan Moore-Taylor scooped the award for CITY Community Trust's player in the community on the back of his work with kids in his local community. In a pre-recorded interview Jordan commented: "It's nice to give something back to the area that has done a lot for me.
"They come and support us week in week out, good or bad and it's great to give something back. It's something we enjoy doing."
The award for Exeter City Supporters' Trust young player of the year went to midfielder Harry Kite, who has been with the Academy since under-8 level. Harry, 17, made his first-team debut this season against Yeovil Town in the Checkatrade Trophy this season.
The Exeter City Ladies awards, kindly sponsored by Arque, went to Amber Guy-Kemp for players' player of the year and Billie Denny as player of the year after a successful season for the ladies.
The Supporters' Club supporter of the year went to Sue Matthews. Sue has followed the Grecians all around the country, through thick and thin.
On the night, Phil Bater was presented with his well-earned award from the EFL for League Two supporter of the year. You can find out more about why Phil earned the award by clicking here.
The evening signed off with entertainment provided by live band New Heroes, who played a mixture of old classics and modern day hits.
Full list of award winners:
- Exeter City Ladies players' player of the year (sponsored by Arque): Amber Guy-Kemp
- Exeter City Ladies player of the year (Sponsored by Arque): Billie Denny
- EFL League Two supporter of the year: Phil Bater
- Supporters' Club supporter of the year: Sue Matthews
- Grecian Travel Away player of the year: Christy Pym
- Exeter City Supporters' Trust young player of the year: Harry Kite
- Exeter City Disabled Supporters Association most improved player of the year: Pierce Sweeney
- CITY Community Trust PFA Community champion (sponsored by Mi-Space): Jordan Moore-Taylor
- East Devon Grecians' player of the year: Christy Pym
- The Dom Sanders memorial tankard: Christy Pym
- North Devon Grecians' player of the year: Jayden Stockley
- Junior Grecians' player of the year: Christy Pym
- Golden Boot (sponsored by Heritage): Jayden Stockley
- Vospers' goal of the season: Jayden Stockley
- Players' player of the year (Sponsored by Arque): Christy Pym
- Hawksmoor Investment Management fans' player of the year: Christy Pym
The fans’ player of the season award will be presented to Christy Pym at City’s match against Colchester United on Saturday, May 5.
Our Team. MY City. 2018/19 Early Bird Season Tickets.
Make HUGE savings when buying a season ticket for the 2018/19 campaign during the Early Bird window, available until midday on Friday, June 8. Click here to find out more.