Under 23s: City 1 Hull City 1

Exeter City under-23s remained top of their group in the Under-23 Premier League Cup with a hard-fought 1-1 draw with Hull City.

In a game where City dominated the chances, they went ahead through Kyle Edwards after just three minutes but were pegged back later in the first half by Liam Edwards’ effort.

The Grecians created a host of opportunities in the second period, but some resolute defending kept out the likes of Matt Jay and Liam McAlinden.


Matt Taylor named a strong side for the visit of the Tigers as regular first team players Liam McAlinden, Hiram Boateng and Dan Seaborne all featured as well as the Grecians’ latest signing, Ryan Loft, who began the match on the bench.

City got off to the best possible start when they went in front on three minutes through Edwards. After good work on the right-hand side by Matt Jay, he crossed low for the West Brom loanee to fire in at the back post.

The Grecians then went close again on ten minutes when a ball forward from Jordan Storey found Robbie Simpson who flicked the ball into the path of Liam McAlinden. But credit to Harrison Foulkes in the Hull goal who came out quickly to deny the City forward from close range.

But the away side began to come into the match when they stung the hands of Paul Jones through Greg Olley before they levelled through Liam Edwards. After good build up play on the left and a low cross, the Hull winger did well to fire in at the back post.

City continued to push forward, though, and created more chances through Edwards and Simpson who went close with a header from a Hiram Boateng free-kick just before half-time.

The Grecians started off the second-half the better of the two sides when McAlinden cut inside from distance and shot at goal, but for a deflection which took the ball agonisingly wide.

Edwards then went inches from putting Taylor’s side ahead when his effort from distance looped over and hit the top of the crossbar.

A good spell from City, following an Olley shot which was dragged wide for the visitors, came when McAlinden fed Jay whose effort with the outside of his right foot came back off the post. Then, despite Simpson and Boateng’s best efforts, the away side blocked bravely to keep the score level at 1-1.

The Grecians kept up their pressure, looking to test the away side in the air and use the height of Loft, who came on as a second-half substitute. But neither side were able to find a winner as they share a point in the competition with City now sat on seven points.

Exeter City: Jones, Simpson (Loft, 60), Seaborne, McAlinden (Sparkes, 76), Jay, Wilson (Collins, 45), Byrne, Edwards, Hartridge, Storey, Boateng

Subs not used: Williams, Collins, Seymour

Booked: Sparkes

Hull City: Foulkes, Clackstone, Fleming, Chadwick, McKenzie, Curry, Edwards, Olley, Powell, Annan (Lewis-Potter, 63), Hinchcliffe

Subs not used: Saltmer, Yates, Ritson, Dyson

Booked: Curry, Fleming, McKenzie, Olley

Attendance: 231