Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

City 1 Carlisle United 1

Grecians held at St James Park

10 March 2018

Match Reports

City 1 Carlisle United 1

Grecians held at St James Park

10 March 2018

Sponsored by

Exeter City were held to a 1-1 draw by Carlisle United at St James Park in Sky Bet League Two.

In a tight affair Dean Moxey gave the Grecians the lead with a left footed finish before the visitors rallied and levelled the match in the second half through substitute Ashley Nadesan.


City boss Paul Tisdale had a strong squad to choose from and opted to make just one change from City’s win last time out over Grimsby Town, as Pierce Sweeney made his return from injury to replace the suspended Kane Wilson.

The opening 10 minutes of the match saw both sides deliver dangerous crosses into the box, but Christy Pym and Jack Bonham, in the Carlisle goal, were left untested.

The Grecians were also forced into a substitution after just six minutes when captain Jordan Moore-Taylor limped off injured after challenging with Hallam Hope, as Craig Woodman replaced the defender.

Chances were scarce for much of the first period with neither side able to create too many clear-cut opportunities. Out of the two, Keith Curles’ side looked the more likely through the pace of Hallam Hope looking to get in behind and the Grecians were forced to defend a succession of corners.

City were then forced into a second change when Lee Holmes also came off injured and was replaced by Kyle Edwards just after 30 minutes.

The Grecians had to wait until the 40-minute mark to create their first real chance of the game when Hiram Boateng’s free-kick almost found Troy Brown at the back post, but after his volley a Carlisle deflection took the ball behind for a corner.

And their second chance of the match saw the game’s first goal when a succession of corners finally led to Jake Taylor nodding the ball back into the box and Moxey found himself unmarked and on hand to slot the ball past Bonham with his left foot.

The Grecians had a good chance just moments before half-time after good hold-up play from Jayden Stockley saw the ball find its way to Taylor on the right, but his dangerous cross was kept out well by Bonham.

City started the second half much the better side, with Boateng controlling things in the City midfield. They created a good chance on 55 minutes when the City number 44 played a brilliant through ball into the path of Taylor, but his shot was straight at the Carlisle goalkeeper.

United created an excellent opportunity just after the hour mark when they broke free from a City attack. Substitute, Nadesan, did well to hold the ball up before it arrived with Jamie Devitt just inside the box, but his effort was just wide of Pym’s goal.

Nadesan was back amongst the action just seconds later when he fired the away side level after Taylor was dispossessed in midfield. The sub made no mistake when he went through on goal and fired high into the far corner.

Both sides continued to trade blows throughout the half, and City were inches from going ahead on 75 minutes when Taylor cut inside onto his left to fire the ball just over Bonham’s goal from the edge of the box.

City then had Pym to thank on 88 minutes when Hope made space for himself before shooting at goal forcing a smart stop from the Exeter goakeeper as the sides ended the match level.

Exeter City: Pym, Sweeney, Tillson, Harley, Holmes (Edwards, 33), Stockley, Moore-Taylor (Woodman, 7), Moxey, Taylor, Brown, Boateng

Subs not used: Jones, James, Archibald-Henville, Simpson, Jay


Carlisle United: Bonham, Joyce (Lambe, 65), Liddle, Parkes, Jones, Hope, Devitt, Bennett (Twardek, 77), Ellis, Stockton (Nadeson, 56), Hill

Subs not used: Gray, Grainger, Brown, O’Sullivan

Booked: Joyce, Liddle

Attendance: 3,488 (Inc, 201, away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account