Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

📝 Under-18s: City 3 Plymouth Argyle 2

Lewis Wilson's hat-trick ensures City's progression in FA Youth Cup

31 October 2018

Match Reports

📝 Under-18s: City 3 Plymouth Argyle 2

Lewis Wilson's hat-trick ensures City's progression in FA Youth Cup

31 October 2018

Sponsored by

Exeter City's under-18s booked themselves a place in the second round of the FA Youth Cup after overcoming Plymouth Argyle in the Devon derby with a 3-2 win.

A first half hat-trick from Lewis Wilson ensured City's progression as the Grecians managed the game well throughout.

Rio Garside's free-kick levelled things earlier in the match with a well taken attempt to make the score 1-1, before Klaidi Lolos headed home just seconds before the final whistle.

Match Report sponsored by Speedy Freight

The young Grecians got off to the perfect start when they took the lead on six minutes as a ball over the Plymouth defence was latched onto by Wilson, who lobbed the ball over Harry Townsend in the Argyle goal with a calm finish.

But the away side weren’t behind for long when they levelled things just six minutes later through Garside, who curled a close range free-kick into the bottom left-hand corner of Jack Arthur’s goal.

But it didn’t take long for the Grecians to go back in front as Wilson grabbed his second of the night on 15 minutes. Good hold-up play from Jay Stansfield saw him feed the ball to Joe Belsten and his cross found the City number nine unmarked as he fired in from close range.

Will Dean then stung the palms of Townsend in the 21st minute as City looked to further their advantage, but despite the youngster striking well from the edge of the box, the Argyle keeper did well to keep the ball out.

Wilson almost had his hat-trick within 30 minutes when he did brilliantly to bring the ball under control before finding a yard of space and shooting right footed, but Townsend saved well.

Just moments before half-time, Wilson did claim his hat-trick in a good move with Belsten, who crossed low for the striker to fire home to give City a 3-1 lead at the break.

Argyle had the first real attempt of the second half when Tom Purrington managed to find a bit of space on the edge of the City box, but his effort edged just wide of Arthur’s left-hand post.

The away side began to see a bit more of the ball in the second period, but credit to the City defence who did well to limit them to very little in the form of chances.

The Grecians, content with the three goals they had scored in the first half, continued to keep the ball well as they managed the game brilliantly.

But Argyle struck late to make the score 3-2 through Lols, nonethless it was City who booked themselves a space in the second round of the FA Youth Cup where they will travel to Stevenage.

Exeter City: Arthur, Belsten, Morison, Dean, Dyer, Diabate (Moyse, 67), Stansfield (Lovett, 90), Lawrence, Wilson, Dodd, Iseguan (Clark, 58)

Subs not used: Veale, Brake

Booked: Wilson

Plymouth Argyle: Townsend, Seery (Wilson, 65), Collum, Randell, Peck, Tomlinson, Goulty, Purrington, Lolos, Boyd (Craske, 36), Garside

Subs not used: Burdon, Hillier, Miller

Booked: Seery, Lolos

Attendance: 446

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account