Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

📝 Carlisle United 1 City 1

Points shared at Brunton Park

9 February 2019

Sponsored by

Exeter City earned a point on the road as they drew 1-1 with Carlisle United in Sky Bet League Two.

Nicky Law gave the Grecians the lead with a well taken effort in the first half before Carlisle scored an equaliser from a free-kick through Jamie Devitt.

City boss Matt Taylor made two changes to the side that began the 3-1 win over MK Dons last time out as Randell Williams was handed his first start for the club and Kane Wilson returned to the starting line up at Brunton Park.

The Grecians had a good opportunity within two minutes when Jonathan Forte latched onto a long ball forward from Dara O’Shea. The striker managed to control well before firing an effort just wide of Adam Collin’s goal.

City continued to dominate the opening exchanges and Forte had another attempt when Williams latched onto a ball from Archie Collins before the ball found its way to Forte who shot from close range, but Collin did well to keep the ball out with a strong save.

The Grecians then took a deserved lead through Law after his free-kick was blocked back into his path before he fired home with his left foot from the edge of the box just before the 20-minute mark.

More dominant play followed for the Grecians soon after when Lee Martin did well to find himself some space just inside the United box before his stinging effort was palmed away by Collin.

Nathan Thomas had United’s first real attempt on the 30-minute mark when Hallam Hope drove forward down the left, and his pass to Thomas eventually saw the midfielder shoot well over Christy Pym’s goal.

Tom Parkes then forced a save from Pym with a speculative effort from distance, but the City keeper was equal to it as he palmed the ball away and Thomas’ follow up effort went wide of goal as the Grecians took a well-earned lead into half-time.

City continued to control the game well after the break without creating a host of chances with United seeing more possession than that of the opening period. Thomas would try his luck again for the hosts on the hour mark, but his low effort was tipped away by Pym.

City then broke down the right on 68 minutes when Law managed to hook a cross towards Forte in the area but the cross just evaded the frontman as he tried to send a header goalwards.

Carlisle then went inches from levelling when Hallam Hope shot from distance from the right-hand side before his effort crashed against the cross bar and, thankfully for City, away from danger.

But United’s equaliser arrived in the 78th minute courtesy of Devitt who curled a close-range free-kick into the far corner with a well taken effort to make the score 1-1.

Neither side were able to create anymore clear cut chances to claim the three points meaning the Grecians returned to Devon with a point.

Carlisle United: Collin, Miller, Grainger, Gerrard, Parkes, Hope, Devitt, Slater (Scougall, 45), Thomas (Cullen, 69), O’Hare, Etuhu

Subs not used: Gray, Liddle, Jones, Grant, McArron

Booked: Devitt, Parkes

Exeter City: Pym Sweeney, Woodman, O’Shea, L. Martin, Law, Williams (A. Martin, 80), Forte (Bowman, 72,) Wilson, Taylor, Collins

Subs not used: Hamon, Jay, Wilson, Brown, Dean


Attendance: 4,851 (176, away)


Tickets for City's Devon Derby against Plymouth Argyle on Saturday, October 26 are now SOLD OUT. Thank you for your support!


Advertisement block