⏮ League One Rewind: Charlton Athletic 1 City 3

Next up in League One Rewind is a trip to the Valley, which took place just one week after our 2-0 win at Notts County that was featured yesterday.

Charlton Athletic 1-3 Exeter City - 19th February 2011

Despite victory at Meadow Lane a week earlier, the Grecians were not expected to pick up a result at the Valley with the Addicks in good form and inside the play-off places, just a handful of points below the automatic promotion spots. However, City's midweek match was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, which gave Paul Tisdale's men those extra legs.

Athletic had lost their previous match, but prior to that had won four on the trot. Defeat to the Grecians on this particular afternoon though would spell disaster for the south-east London side, with the match marking the second of an eleven game winless run. They went on to win just twice more all season, taking their record after this fixture to just two wins in 18. 

Charlton should have taken the lead when Wright-Phillips' effort was parried by Ben Hamer into the feet of Nathan Eccleston, who was denied by superb defending from Richard Duffy.

Hamer then denied Eccleston again after a ball through from Johnnie Jackson, with the goal gaping as shot stopper prevented the home side in front of a near 25,000 crowd.

Charlton continued to press in the second half with Jackson not far away with his blistering strike after he brilliantly controlled the ball on the edge of the box.


However, the Londoners were made to pay for their misfiring as City took the lead through Liam Sercombe. Moments after James Dunne connected to Ryan Harley's ball to test Rob Eliot in the Charlton goal, Sercombe latched onto another Harley lay off and fired in first time with a powerful shot, in front of the travelling City faithful.

The Grecians doubled their lead a little over ten minutes later as they took advantage of a defensive howler from the home defence. When Gary Doherty failed to deal with a looping ball, he attempted to play the ball back to the goalkeeper but his header lacked pace and John O'Flynn quickly nipped in behind, rounded Eliot and rolled it in for 2-0. 

Eliot was then at fault for number three as he brought down O'Flynn to concede a penalty. O'Flynn beat Doherty for pace before getting to the ball before the onrushing keeper, who could do nothing but slide in on City's number 29. He was subsequently booked, before Harley crashed the ball home to put the Addicks out of sight.


Doherty made amends for his mistake late on as his overhead kick deflected in via Wright-Phillips to reduce the arrears, but it was not enough to mount a comeback as the Grecians went 13th in the League One.

Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale told BBC Radio Devon: "It's been a turbulent few weeks with the disappointment of the three home losses, and then a couple of weeks later we've won two away games.

"I don't think we were lucky today, I think we deserved our win.

"I'm very proud to be Exeter manager, and I was delighted for the supporters at the end, I really am pleased for them."

City XI: Hamer, Tully, Duffy (Sercombe), Archibald-Henville, Taylor, Golbourne, Dunne (Cozic), Harley, Noble, Cureton, O'Flynn (Logan).

Subs not used: Krysiak, Edwards, Jones, Stewart.