Exeter City is thrilled to announce the players that have signed scholarships for the new season.
Ten new faces have been handed scholarships to link up with Tom Donati's side ahead of the South West Youth Alliance season, which kicks-off at home to Swindon Town this Saturday.
Seven of these players have come through the academy schoolboy programme. These are:
- Dan Layer - Dan is a goalkeeper from Plymouth and joined the Academy as an U10. He is a good shot stopper who is also comfortable with the ball at his feet.
- Liam Oakes – Originally from Cornwall and later relocating to Ivybridge. Liam joined the Academy as an U9 and is a very versatile player who is good technically and currently plays predominantly as a full back/wing back.
- Jacca Cavendish - Jacca is from Bodmin in Cornwall and joined the Academy as an U11. He plays predominantly as a ball playing Central Defender, with good reading of the game.
- Kye Cooper - Kye is from Yeovil and joined the Academy as an U14 following the closure of Yeovil Town Academy. He is a very pacy full back/wing back who plays mainly on the left-hand side as he is left footed.
- Jake Richards - Jake featured for the Grecians in pre-season at Mousehole and impressed manager Gary Caldwell. Jake joined the Academy as an U12 and is a left footed central midfield player with great passing range and impressive set piece delivery. Jake is our only Exeter based first-year scholar.
- George Birch - George joined the Academy as an U14 when Yeovil Town Academy closed. George is Somerset based and is a very creative player who plays in wide or attacking midfield areas.
- Theo Cutler - Theo was another player who featured in pre-season, playing in the second half away at Weston-super-Mare. Theo is from Dorchester and joined the Academy as an U13. He is a goal scoring centre forward with good movement.
Three players have newly joined the club having been identified by the Head of Academy Recruitment, Chim Chinnah:
- Dylan Shanahan - Dylan is a Goalkeeper from London who is very calm in possession alongside his shot stopping ability. Formerly of Millwall FC, he was identified playing for Onside Academy based in London.
- Santino Ohanaka - Santino is an attacking midfielder or wide player who is creative in possession and excels in 1v1 situations. Formerly of Tottenham Hotspurs FC and identified playing for Onside Academy based in London.
- Kieran Wilson - Kieran is a 6ft 5 centre forward from Scotland formerly of Airdrieonians & Livingston FC and was recommended to the Club by former 1st Team player, Alan Gow. Kieran is quick and technically very good.
Two more players have signed non-contract registrations with the club whilst focussing on their academics:
- Finlay Croft - Goalkeeper
- Rafa Beadman - Centre-back
Head of Academy Operations and Performance, Arran Pugh said: “We are delighted to welcome 10 first-year scholars to their first experience of full-time football for the 2023/24 season. We are also really pleased to continue working with 2 further boys who have been part of the Academy programme in Rafa Beadman and Finlay Croft, who will have opportunities to train with the U18 group and be available for selection in matches, alongside their studies at external education providers.
"The scholarship group is made up of some very talented football players but first and foremost they are all fantastic characters and well rounded young men. This will be vital aspect for their own individual development but also for the environment and culture that they build for the U18 team this season.
"We are keen to stretch and support all of the boys individually to maximise their potential on and off the pitch and hope that a number of them can follow in the footsteps of the numerous Academy graduates who are currently thriving as professional players in the Premier League and EFL.”