Match Report: Exeter City 1-0 Cambridge United

Nichols wins it for Grecians


EXETER CITY:  Olejnik, Butterfield (capt), Noble, McAllister, Ribeiro, Holmes (Nicholls 87'), Moore-Taylor, Nichols, Wheeler, Tillson, Grant.
SUBS: Davies, Morrison, Hamon, Jay, Watkins, Read.

Goals: Nichols 9'

CAMBRIDGE UNITED: Beasant, Taylor, Donaldson, Corr (capt), Dunk, Sesay, Simpson (Slew 46'), L. Hughes (Berry 46'), J. Hughes (Newton 80'), Taft, Demetriou.
SUBS: Omazusi, Morrissey, Gaffney, Newton, Lowe.


REFEREE: James Linington


TOM NICHOLS' ninth-minute goal was enough to see Exeter City past Cambridge United and back to winning ways.

Tom Nichols returned to the Exeter City starting line-up for this one, with Troy Brown missing out for the first time this season and Jordan Tillson covering in his place. There was also a return for David Noble, who missed out against Carlisle - he partnered captain Danny Butterfield in the middle of the park.

With City starting on top in the early exchanges, Joel Grant had an effort deflected narrowly wide as Cambridge goalkeeper Sam Beasant was left helpless. It would be just nine minutes into the match that City would take the lead - Danny Butterfield picked out Tom Nichols, who had drifted away from his marker, before the City striker turned that same defender inside out before smashing in the opener.

Former Grecian Barry Corr missed a good chance for an equaliser on the twenty-minute mark, with Ryan Donaldson doing the creative work down the right, before squaring to Corr, who put the ball wide to Bobby Olejnik's left. Joel Grant fired well over from a David Wheeler square ball shortly after the half-hour, while a loose backpass from Jordan Tillson resulted in Corr going one-on-one with Olejnik in a 50/50 challenge, but fortunately for City, it ended up with a goal-kick.


Cambridge's best chance yet came twenty minutes into the second period  - Mickey Demetriou's shot was blocked on the line by a combination of Olejnik and a defender, before Barry Corr headed into the arms of the City goalkeeper. Corr was involved again soon after that as he headed down but Jordan Slew drilled his shot over.

Jordan Moore-Taylor's header was blocked after Joel Grant's cross, before Olejnik got down low to save from Jordan Slew. Lee Holmes came up with a great bit of ingenuity to turn Harrison Dunk ten minutes from time, but Tom Nichols headed over. Then, Holmes crossed for David Wheeler, who didn't get the right connection and allowed Sam Beasant to save on the line.

City held on to return to winning ways. Thoughts now turn back to the future, namely Notts County at St James Park this weekend.


Attendance: 2,883 (123 away)

Man of the Match: Danny Butterfield