Match Report: Exeter City 6-1 Plymouth Parkway

City through to quarter-finals after comfortable win


Exeter City: Hamon (Pym 46'), Egan, Read, Storey, Green, Pope, Byrne (Harkness 82'), Rehemi (Rosenwald 71'), Jay (capt), Gill, Watkins.
Subs: Merritt, Grimes.
Goals: Watkins 6', 35', 78', Jay 27', 62', Rehemi 42'
Plymouth Parkway: Piper, P. Heveran (Lewis 46'), Martindale, M. Landricombe, Manley, Trott, Colwell (capt) (Smith 46'), Hart, Hughes (Thompson 46'), L. Landricombe, Bass.
Subs: J. Heveran, Kane.

Goals: Landricombe 88'

Referee: Adam Hopkins


Ollie Watkins bagged a hat-trick and Matt Jay a brace as Exeter City saw off Plymouth Parkway in the St. Luke's Cup at St James Park.

James Hamon completed his return from injury with a place in the starting line-up for the visit of Plymouth Parkway, with Matt Jay captain and Brandon Green and Jordan Storey making their St James Park debuts.

Ollie Watkins was the other City player with first-team experience, and that class showed just six minutes in, as he fired the opener past Parkway goalkeeper Martin Piper. Matt Jay was flagged offside when he was sent through by Watkins ten minutes later, though his finish was immaculate.

Watkins and Jay were both involved as City doubled their advantage. Watkins' fierce shot was blocked by Parkway defender Jordan Trott, and after the visitors made a hash of clearing their lines, Jay picked the ball up and rounded the keeper before converting.

Watkins cut inside for his second and City's third on thirty-five minutes, before bursting away from his marker to feed Mustafa Rehemi for the fourth shortly before half-time. There was even a penalty appeal as Matt Jay went down under the challenge of Piper, but 4-0 it remained at the break.


After Parkway showed some signs of promise in the opening third of the second half, an outstanding passing move from front to back resulted in Matt Jay making it 5-0 with his second goal of the game shortly after the hour.

A very similar passing move allowed Ollie Watkins his hat-trick in the seventy-eighth minute, and despite an outstanding consolation from Levi Landricombe in the dying seconds, City booked their place in the quarter-final of the St. Luke's Cup.


Attendance: 163

Man of the Match: Ollie Watkins